Feed
< Previous | 1 | 2 | Next >

Aperture - lost serial number

For a reason I can't recall, possibly because I bought it on the internet, my copy of Aperture requires me to enter my serial number every time I open it, so I copied it into 'Notes'. Today I accidentally deleted it and can't undo my action.
I went into Time Machine, copied Notes to the desktop, opened it only to find that the number was deleted there too! Any suggestions welcome.

Re: Aperture - lost serial number

From the Help section of Notes:

If you delete a note that’s stored on your Mac, it’s moved to the Recently Deleted folder. You can view and recover notes in the Recently Deleted folder for up to 30 days.

If you use upgraded iCloud notes, deleted notes are moved to the Recently Deleted folder for that iCloud account on all devices that use the same account. After 30 days, the notes are removed from all your devices. After 40 days, the notes are permanently deleted from iCloud.

Thanks Mick, but there does not appear to be a Recently deleted folder. I should have mentioned Mountain Lion mid 2011 iMac 27 inch....

Neither in the app on the Mac nor on iCloud?

I'm afraid I no longer have a machine I can boot into Mountain Lion to experiment with to help further. ML is now 11 years old - you're the only one I know still using it ;-)

You know I'm a Luddite Mick, my ignorance of iCloud is total. I'm using ML because it works with Aperture....

Have you tried recovering older Notes from the Group Containers folder?

Thank you Eleanor, but alas, I can find no such folder.

Ah! Mountain Lion. Try ~/Library/Containers

I am seeing a folder there called com.apple.Notes

If you bring up your Time Machine when Finder is showing this folder you should get it.

Thanks Eleanor, but no luck. Library doesn't have a Containers folder. If I get Finder to search for com.apple.Notes there are four such folders, but all on the El Cap partition, and all in Affinity Designer.

I don't think Apple will report files in the ~/Library folders since these are supposed to be hidden.

Are you sure you are checking the (hidden) Library in your HOME folder? Containers folder is critical to holding a load of apple and 3rd party files. If you don't have this or the 'Group Containers' then my next question might have to be... are you sure you are using MacOS or the account? Very Puzzled....

I'm not sure of anything, I'm very old so you might be assuming I'm more knowledgeable than I am. I can't find a HOME folder. If I go Finder - Go - Home there are Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Movies, Music, Pictures, Public, Sites folders and a TXT _geeks3d_gputest_log.txt
If I search for Group Containers there are three documents called, httpd.conf, toolbars.xml, toolbars.xml
OSX version 10.8.5

Your HOME folder is the folder of your account. You will see a 'home' icon next to your user name in a Finder window on the left.

To access your Library folder:

Go to Finder
Hold down your Option Key
On the Menu at the top select Go -> Library

Once again, you will not be able to search Group Containers since it is supposed to be hidden.

Excellent so far, thank you, I can see com.apple.Notes in the Finder and highlighted it; fired up Time Machine - Mountain Lion, I can see Applications, Library, System, Users. If I open Library it has no Containers folder, even if I open it with the Option key down.

It sounds to me you are still not looking in the Library within your home folder but the System Library at the same level of Applications and Users.

You could be right; Finder - Go - Home - I can now see eight folders - Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Movies, Music, Pictures, Public, Sites, and a TXT thing called _geeks3d_gputest_log.test
What should I do next?

Read my entry from 13:56 today,

Go to Finder
Hold down your Option Key
On the Menu at the top select Go -> Library

Yep, I can see many folders when I do that, one of which is Containers.

Keep going both of you - it can't be much further ;-)

Goto my comment starting at 24 Jul 2022 10:04:02.

Enter infinite loop... :-)

Done that; there is no Group Containers folder, if I open the Containers folder then open com.apple.Notes, there is Container.plist, and Data folder. Open that, with or without holding down Option, there are now seven folders, one called Library. Open Library then open Notes; there are three pieces of text - Notes V1. storedata, Notes V1.storedata-shm, Notes V1.storedata-wal
Neither of these three can be opened, with or without holding down Option.
Am I being obedient Mick?
< Previous | 1 | 2 | Next >
Feed