Feed

Reinstall High Sierra

On my iMac I have erased the HD using Disk Utility Recovery and am now trying to reinstall OS High Sierra. I get a popup saying, "The recovery server could not be contacted". Help please, what should I try?

Re: Reinstall High Sierra

I suspect that's a temporary glitch - try again. If it fails, contact Apple and ask for a link to High Sierra (I doubt it would be available on the App Store)

Thanks Mick. It failed again but then I remembered your preference for cable connections. I connected iMac to Router via ethernet cable and it works!!

Phew!

I am supposing that it "forgets" the wifi codes when the disc is erased so if you were selling it then this information would not go to the new owner.

A logical supposition Rick thanks since I can't access the internet without the ethernet cable connection.

When you sell it don't include a long ethernet cable else they'll still be able to use your internet connection!

Ethernet cables Yay!!
You can also reinstall over the internet using start-up key codes see this support page this support page.

btw. Lion and Mountain Lion were recently made 'free' from Apple support.

Thanks Euan. That is the support page I was using when a pop-up said, "The recovery server could not be contacted". It seems that, because the HD had been erased, internet access wasn't possible until I used the ethernet cable connection. I was using start-up keys on the iMac whilst under guidance in an online chat with Apple Support, using my MacBook Pro.

Feed