Feed

MacBook Pro Battery Replacement

My next project is to replace the failing battery which lasts just over an hour now. Apple will kindly install one for about £200, iFixit will supply one for about £100 or I could obtain one from Amazon for about £50.
I have 2 issues:
1) Should I buy an expensive one from iFixit which is likely to be of good quality or a cheaper one from eBay?
2) Adhesive remover? From watching YouTube videos the brute force removal, without using adhesive remover dribbled under the battery though a syringe, is fraught with danger. For another £7 iFixit will supply a kit including this but I believe it is nothing more than Acetone which I already possess.

Has anyone replaced their laptop battery or would like to comment?

Re: MacBook Pro Battery Replacement

I really think it is false economy to buy a cheap battery. If it burst into flames (which some do) then you have lost the whole mac and perhaps your home too.

It is just not worth it.

I did a battery replacement a few months ago. Here is the entry.

Thank you Eleanor I missed that post.
I know that Acetone can damage the screen coating but I am more concerned about tearing the Lithium battery sheathes. I watched a YouTube of a man who regularly replaces these batteries wrestle with a credit card which he used to dig away at the glue and didn’t much like that. Your fishing line approach seems less damaging but still tricky.

I will watch more YouTube videos before making my decision. It’s a lot harder than my old PC laptop where the battery lifted out after sliding a catch.

You may be right Richard although from my radio control electric plane experience I find cheap batteries swell and lose charge quickly rather than burst.

Is there no chance of cutting through the adhesive, e.g. with dental floss? Buying batteries off eBay is always a bit of a lottery. However I have done it with an old ‘clamshell’ iBook and for an iPhone 4 and been pleased with the results.

In 2019 I replaced the battery on both my 2010 MacBook Pro and 2011 MacBook Air without a problem.

At the moment I can't remember where I bought the batteries from but will look and report back tomorrow.

I bought the MacBook Pro battery from Techtronix Ltd (Amazon) in October 2019 for £55. MacBook Air Battery a month later at a cost of £65, also from Techtronix.

Thank you Trevor and Drew.
Looking at more YouTube videos it seems quite difficult to remove the battery and then the remaining glue without resorting to fluids. I may have my Acetone on standby after attempting to use fishing line or dental floss.

I cannot find Techtronix, they do not seem to be using Amazon anymore (There is a company based in Bangalore who service phones and computers)

UPDATE
I bought my battery from E EGOWAY on Amazon. Replacing the battery was fairly straight forward. I also bought a set of syringes which allowed me to dribble a little Acetone underneath the batteries to soften the adhesive after wrapping the screen in aluminium foil in case of any spillage. Without the Acetone trying to force a credit card beneath was too difficult for me. I had some dental floss on standby but felt this too would be a struggle.
The only mistake I made was to follow the supplier’s advice and keep the thin transparent film on until the battery was installed. I should have removed this before installing the trackpad ribbon cable, so forgetting to disconnect the battery plug, I removed and reconnected the cable “live”.
Because of this mistake the following incidents had me worried:
1) the MacBook didn’t power on with the first press of the power button and
2) the Magsafe power connector light failed to illuminate until I waggled the plug.
After cycling the battery, About this Mac > System Report shows cycle count 2 and a capacity of 7000mAh which exceeds the 6560 mAh original Apple battery capacity. Whether the life of this battery will exceed the 6 years of the previous we shall see.
It’s a pity Apple have soldered in the RAM as this would be my next upgrade.

I have a soldering iron you could borrow Rick ;-)

Just ram it in...?

Feed