Feed

Successful Battery Replacement on a Late 2013 MacBook Pro

I did a successful replacement on my old MBP. I must admit it wasn't easy since the batteries are glued in but it was successful.

Got my battery and very useful replacement kit from iFixIt https://store.ifixit.co.uk/collections/parts and rather than following a very long process of dismantling the whole device and lots of solvent opted for a brute force with a fishing line approach https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfHHIERH2J0.

80lb fishing line was a great thread for this! :-)

Saved a bunch of money not going to an Apple store, but it's not for the faint hearted!

Re: Successful Battery Replacement on a Late 2013 MacBook Pro

Thank you very much for this. The YouTube video is excellent (iFixit has changed the 'syringe and bottle' solvent supply for something more convenient and offers some serious safety advice too).

My mid-2012 MBkpro battery doesn't use adhesive, but my mid-2014 MBkpro does, and the glued battery has always been a concern. Good to see Apple uses those 3M adhesive patches and not some happy-go-lucky random squirts of glue from a nozzle.

Worth noting that avoiding all that dis-assembly means that, with care, the solvent/cord method is far less risky, and the video suggests that patience with the solvent means very little force should be needed. Was that your experience?

For other members, note this advice from iFixit:
"If you're installing a new battery, you should calibrate it after installation. Charge it to 100%, and then keep charging it for at least 2 more hours. Next, unplug and use it normally to drain the battery. When you see the low battery warning, save your work, and keep your laptop on until it goes to sleep due to low battery. Wait at least 5 hours, then charge your laptop uninterrupted to 100%."

the cord method is risky, you need a lot of ‘pull’ to push through the adhesive while not forgetting there’s a screen underneath so you cannot put too much pressure on the base. However, I made the decision this was still a less risky way to get the batteries out. You need to be careful with the solvent since there are reports you can damage the trackpad if it leaks too far.

Thanks for the update. Yes, the solvent is pretty lethal to computers. Perhaps in principle it is possible to open the MacBook over some sort of angled support and protect the (now "apart") screen with foil, polythene, and/or cling film?

iFixit now appear to be shipping solvent in containers more like super-glue dispensers rather than syringe and bottle as in the video. Was this so for you?

Feed