Feed

Message after installing Mavericks

After Mavericks 10.9.4 was recently installed on my iMac this message occasionally appears on the desktop:

"The system extension “/System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext” was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product’s vendor for an update".

I haven't a clue what it means or if I should do anything about it. Everything seems to be working reasonably well as far as I can see. Some programmes running a little slower, as Mick warned and occasional freeze-ups. Nothing really serious. Can anyone enlighten me please about the message? Roy

Re: Message after installing Mavericks

You are not alone! I believe it's an issue following a download of iTunes 11.4 - is that the version you're running?

If you search using the name of the file you'll find various (not straightforward for the cautious!) suggestions all of which have worked for some but not others. My suggestion would be to live with it (if you can) until Apple release iTunes 11.4.1 which will hopefully fix it.

I must be lucky because I am not getting that message and I have the latest iTunes installed. I installed my iTunes update from a disk image which I had downloaded not via software update I wonder if that has any bearing on the problem

Thanks Mick. I will live with it for now. It's an intermittent pop-up anyway and hasn't popped up today - yet!
Roy

I've had the same warning after installing the latest iTunes update. I decided that as nothing else seems to be affected, I'm taking Mick's route on this.

Interesting John thanks. After posting this thread I updated to the latest version, 10.9.5 and since then have not had the warning popping up! Roy

Feed