Feed

Safari alert re alleged Data Leak

Never before had this. Message appeared on Safari home page saying "COMPROMISED PASSWORD. The password for your "ee.co.uk" account has appeared in a data leak, putting your account at high risk of compromise. Safari can help you resecure your account." The last 3 words are presented in blue as a Link.

Suffice to say I have not pressed the link. EE deny any data leak and say that they would contact customers by email if a leak occurred.

Ignoring the EE reference, has anybody else ever had such a message pop up on Safari ? Should I report this to Apple ?

Re: Safari alert re alleged Data Leak

This can come up if you try to log in to EE with a password you use on both EE and another account and the other website has had a data breach. It may possibly come up even if you are not trying to log in to EE. Do you use the EE password for any other account? If not and EE deny they have had a data leak it's likely to be a scam though I don't know how it pops up in Safari.

Have a look in Safari Settings>Passwords>Security Recommendations

Thank you Mick. The passwords for our two EE accounts were different and unique. The principal one was however short.

I went to Security Recommendations and sure enough their was a message/advice as per the pop up wording on the Safari page. So I've changed it and it says it's now very strong.

Their = there

Another message from Safari re "different ?" data leak.

But it quotes email provider that haven't used for years, password mentioned is incorrect anyway.........it's a genuine Safari missive repeated in more detail in the security recommendations as per Mick's advice last time........so where Safari trawls its info I don't know.

Feed