Feed

Apple ID password

Recently I have been asked on several occasions to change my Apple ID password. Sometimes this has been following an upgrade to one or other of my devices. Is there some reason for this or is Apple being very security minded?

Re: Apple ID password

Am a little intrigued by your post. I have once or twice been instructed to do this by Apple Support personnel, and I seem to remember it was to get round some difficulty or other, and not merely forgetting the password.
In connection with upgrades, Apple ID password changes have also caused me problems. Where I have wished to upgrade a particular item of Apple S/W on one of our (older) Macs it has been necessary to produce the Apple ID password that applied at the time of original purchase, otherwise the upgrade would not be sanctioned. I now of course keep careful note of any ID password changes!
I think the Apple ID produces lots of problems for all concerned.

Re: Apple ID password

Lionel: That is surprising.

It may or may not be relevant but there is an ongoing series of phishing attacks on Macs (and other Apple devices). This appears to the user as a succession of dialogue boxes asking them to 'Allow' a Reset of their Apple ID password.
DON'T! Do click 'Do Not Allow'.

The dialogue is generated by malware that will capture any changed password (this is a Bad Thing). It relies on a frustrated user either giving in to the repeated requests or just making a hasty mistake. Some users have also then received a phone call, allegedly from Apple Support. Apparently, Apple say that they will never phone you out of the blue so just hang up - you can always call Apple if you're worried.

More details here. I would add that, circumstances permitting, you could just turn-off your device and come back next day.

Feed