Feed

Happy 40th Anniversary

The original Mac was announced forty years ago on January 24, 1984 at the 1984 Superbowl.

It cost $2,495, or $7,366 in 2024 dollars, featured a 9-inch black-and-white display, 128KB of RAM, a 400 KB floppy disk drive, a mouse, and built-in networking. Decried as an elaborate 'Etch-a-sketch' it developed to 500KB RAM and then to the MacPlus after a very serious update which Apple offered to original users at a heavily subsidised price.

Windows appeared about a year later.

These days you can emulate the original MacOS even on your current Apple silicone.

Thank you to Jeff Raskin, the original team, and Steve Jobs.

Re: Happy 40th Anniversary

We had them at work. I particularly enjoyed making mine speak out loud whatever I wanted! Happy days...

Remind me Richard, did we ever do anything useful with them? :)

They were transformational. Productivity improvements and also contributed to employee moral. Honest guv!

Just for fun, and for Mick's next quiz, this site has everything Apple has produced including the advertising videos (such as "I'm a Mac and he's a PC" series.

Pure nostalgia... ;))

OMG. of the 9 Macs on the front page of that site I have 8!

The 9th, the Mac Classic II, I have just the Mac Classic (1) ...

:-)

Trevor,
Of course! I ran Microplanner on mine, being the first time a PERT chart belonged to me rather than being locked up in some other department. You could inspect exactly one activity at a time on screen...but you could print out a whole network. Then you could edit the activities again!

And then there was Excel! Having previously used Lotus 123 on a DOS PC you could stop hitting the slash key (or something obscure) and wondering what you'd done: you could tweak hours and see the overall impact in Pounds - straight away.

Oh, and we did have a networked Star Trek game (on Apple Talk) but I don't think senior management ever saw that as it boosted morale at lunchtime.

Feed