Feed

Advice: Be careful buying from an Apple refurbisher

A few weeks ago I bought what I thought was a beast of a 2019 Mac Pro. It was advertised as having 28 Cores, 8 TB SSD and a good mid range graphics card for a very competitive price on backmarket.co.uk.

Alas if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is and I was sent a lowly 12 Core Mac! The machine was returned after an offer of £50 off to keep the machine was rejected and so I got my money back. All good I suppose.... Mistakes can be made.

Luckily there was another machine advertised on backmarket with the following specs... 28core, 48 GB Ram, 512 GB SSD and a Radeon PRO W6800X (with 64 GB Ram). The graphics memory seemed a little off since they usually have just 32 GB, so was this a much more expensive DUO?... Once again the price looked too good, but
in order to get clarification of the specs I had to start an order and then ask the questions I had...

The refurbisher sent a JPEG of the specs...
Advertised vs JPEG
28 Cores vs 8 Cores - VERY WRONG ~(Top vs Bottom)
48 GB RAM vs 48 GB RAM - Correct
512 GB SSD vs 2TB SSD - Better than advertised
AMD RADEON PRO W6800X vs AMD RADEON 5700X - VERY WRONG (high end vs mid to low end).
64 GB Graphics Memory vs 16 GB Graphics Memory - VERY WRONG

How resellers think they can sell such a mismatch of specs and think the buyer wouldnt reject it is beyond me!

All I can say is avoid buying anything from backmarket...

Aw well, back to watching ebay and that elusive 28 core machine!!!!

Re: Advice: Be careful buying from an Apple refurbisher

Our experience of Backmarket was rather better. Two iPhones and an iPad all doing well and up to the spec advertised. However none of them were high end so perhaps Backmarket is OK for the more run of the Mill consumer kit.

What's worse, Ive since noticed they put back up the same advertised specs of the Mac Pro I was going to buy on the website without changing a single thing! I have been in contact of the incorrect specifications and they haven't done a thing about it!

Backmarket is a front for other (re)sellers/refurbishers to sell their products so you're not really dealing with them directly. But personally, these are major red flags... I'm going to stay away from them...

I’ve used macfinder.co.uk (quite some time ago) but found them good to deal with. Based in Ipswich - I have family there so called in to discuss and collect my Mac.

I used mResell to by an iMac from and have had no problems with it, just upgraded it with an SSD after the year warranty ran out

Feed