Feed

Where's my file gone?

Like others I could name we think the iPad is the work of the devil. Although I have three iPads (don't ask) I never know where files go. They just disappear. I am trying to load a 3.3 GB video file onto an iPad from my computer.

I sent the file via Airdrop and my computer confirmed that it had gone but I didn't know where to look on the iPad. I tried Photos and Files but it didn't appear.

My next try was to send the file via email. It downloaded but stuck at the completed disc point still with the Downloading label (This was the way I tried sending a copy to a friend who reported the same result which is why I am).

Any help would be appreciated

Re: Where's my file gone?

Could it be that the file is in a format that the iPad does not understand? However if this were to be the case I would have thought you would have an error message.

Try opening the books app and select all files. incoming PDFs tend to go into the Books app.

Also, in the files app, there are various locations things may end up in: Icloud drive, On my Ipad and Downloads for example.

The problem can be that IOS hides the files for various Apps.
eg music files and photos are not visible in the files app, yet are in the Ipad somewhere (because they are accessible vis 'Music' and 'Photos')

The video file is an mp4 file not a pdf file which plays via the QuickTime Player on my Mac.

I found my AirDropped video in Photos. It was hiding in plain sight. Because the video starts with a black screen Photos has carefully chosen this as its icon picture and I was in Dark Mode! I only found it because it had the run time displayed in the corner of the icon.. When I switch to Light mode I get a black rectangle.

This still does not help me send the video to my friend as the email app is still stuck showing that it has completely downloaded but is displaying "Downloading".

I have deleted both the AirDropped video and the email (and stuck attachment) As it takes a long time to download I will try again tomorrow.

I tried sending another email with the video file attached but the very same thing occurred - it appeared to download but get stuck when it is 100%. I will just have to travel to my friends house and AirDrop it from my iPad to his.

Thanks Rick for a good start to the day. Your tale of dark mode made me laugh out loud!

My experience of Airdropping to my iPad is that the pad asks me which app to use for saving (look out for buttons in the display corners). If you then use the Files app, you can choose to save on the device's own memory in the folder of your choice.

Note that most things (including the Files app) default to saving in iCloud (where you may have to pay for storage).

Feed