Feed

Home Pods and Music App

A friend has bought a Home Pod. She has added a load of music files to the Music app on her Mac that she had recorded from vinyl. Siri can't find them but can find files on her iPhone. Is there any way she can get Siri to play the files on her Mac? The files play perfectly well on the Mac.

Re: Home Pods and Music App

That sounds very odd indeed. Don't have a HomePod, but a quick Google suggests a reset might be helpful.
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208380

Thanks for the suggestion Stuart. I can't see why a restart would establish a connection with the iMac where the recorded files are stored (in Music). I will of course pass it on and let you know if it works. The Homepod is apparently having no difficulty in playing files from Music on her iPhone so I assume that it is working as it should.

I also don't have a HomePod...
Are the Mac and the HomePod on the same WiFi network? Has WiFI indeed been set-up for the HomePod? I'm wondering if the iPhone is connecting by Bluetooth (that only connects to one device at a time).

I presume the tracks in question are visible in the Music app on the Mac.

There are 2 main ways to play music on a HomePod.

1. From the Cloud i.e. Apple Music. When you ask the HomePod to play a song it will fetch it from the Cloud and then play it.

2. From a device such as a Mac, iPhone or iPad using Airplay. You will need to push the song from the device to the HomePod. i.e. In 'Music' select a song, go to the icon looking like Mount Fuji + radiating circles at the top right. Select the HomePod and the music will start playing there.

What I understand you are trying to do is get the HomePod to play your own recorded songs via Siri.
Want you need to do is get the songs from your computer to the Cloud.
There are two ways to do this (but it will cost money).

1. Buy and Apple Music subscription, the Mac will then push any songs you have on the Mac to the cloud (if you ask it to do if I remember correctly).
2. Buy a yearlyiTunes Match subscription. This is cheaper than an Apple Music subscription but will get your songs to the cloud so the HomePod and all your other Apple devices will find them.

Feed