Feed

Problems between Easily & gmail

I have had my domain name via easily for about 11 years. Until about a week ago all worked fine. Now emails to gmail addresses fail to get through. On 3 occasions Easily has admitted they have a known problem, but say some extra authentication tweak and "propogation" their end will cure the problem, "usually" does. They did this tweak each time but after 48 hrs each time, no improvement. They say my account shows it has been tweaked already so they fail to understand why my account hasn't rectified. I have within the last hour been asked to wait another 48hrs although in practice it should cure in no more than 2hrs.

Messages directly through my ISP (which I don't really want to do) get through ok to the g-addresses.

Only by chance did I find this out when about 10 mails that required very urgent responses appeared to be being ignored.

Easily's initial answer message refers to upgraded and non-upgraded customers, but apparently my account doesn't need upgrading.

Anybody else encountered the problem?

Re: Problems between Easily & gmail

Gmail appears to have started rejecting domains which do not have 'authentication' setup with 'private' domains that haven't paid for proper authentication. (I forget the correct terms here).
Have a look at this link.

We had to setup some gobbledegook on the domain providers side to get google to allow emails sent to their customers gmail accounts!

I use Easily for my domains and I'm not aware of having this issue. Not much help to you other than to suggest it could be specific to you. I assume Easily is also your email provider? It sounds as if it is but just to be sure.

The problems persist and Easily say it's all gmail's fault; they have lots of clients in the same boat.

Easily is distinctly lack lustre. I have sent them various eml of messages sent but Easily's test procedures bring up a false "problem solved".

After over 60 messages between Easily and me, I find that my domain name is an Alias (hadn't appreciated that one can pay for an email provider separate from the ISP) . So outgoing emails bearing the domain name alias still go through the ISP (BT) server not Easily.
BT say they don't deal with queries like this with residential, only with business lines ! Ringing the Business helpline results in being switched back to residential automatically because it detects that I am phoning from a residential line. Grrr

A helpful guy at BT wanted to escalate the query but could only do this by logging a Complaint. I was advised that I could expect a reply within a week.

Querying the situation with Gmail resulted in my first Support Enquiry going to India, whilst the second try seemed to have to go as "feedback". so goodness knows when or whether they will ever reply.

On a bizarre note, emails directly through BT using my BT address arrive at the gmail end, but emails bearing the domain name alias which still go through BT's server do not arrive ? there are no error messages or bounce back.

Thank you to Mick for spending well over a hour for me clarify how this all works or should work. I am much better educated but the problem ain't solved yet. Of course I could set up Easily as my email provider for £33 per year, but I didn't want to do this as already paying BT for this within my broadband charge.

AT LAST 6 weeks later the problem appears to be solved. Easily had said in effect " no problem our end" and BT were so tardy and missing half dozen appointments.

But BT replied yesterday

".......The spf record for your domain is:
v=spf1 a mx include:spfc51.megamailservers.eu ~all

Gmail has a strict policy of requiring authentication of email which will require an DMARC/DKIM/SPF pass to prove the authenticity of the email. As the BT service cannot DKIM sign as the Domain, the SPF record will need to explicitly pass for GMail to accept the mail. (Easily had allegedly done this weeks ago, but obviously not)

The SPF record should be updated to include btinternet.com - “include:BTinternet.com” to send through the BT service.

The SPF record is held by the domain hosting provider (unless the user has moved it), and the hosting provider can help with this issue........."

Overnight Easily altered the DNS as advised by BT, and today 3 test emails got through different email addresses.

Yippee. (till the next time)

Feed