Feed

Gmail & Apple Mail problems

Because John Lewis Broadband is to cease, and Plusnet will not be offering e-mail hosting, I have need to use my long but essentially unused Google account and associated Gmail address.
I understand Google e-mailing will work in conjunction with/through the Mail App which comes with the Mac OS – a much preferred option for me and my wife. There are clear instructions to enable this. However, I have been baulked in this by Google's 2-step verification/security features. I can log into our Google Account online and into Gmail, which has the number of our iPhone for back up verification purposes, but the moment I try to set up Gmail to run via Apple Mail I run into the problem that the verification process wants to send the magic code number to the number of an old/destroyed mobile phone!
Has anyone experience of anything like this, or suggestions as to what to do? Online searching does seem to indicate quite a history of users trying to set up the pairing. But so far I do not find a route to cancel the redundant phone number that is causing the problem. Google's security software seems determined to cause grief!

Re: Gmail & Apple Mail problems

I have some experience of this, but it is not authoritative.

(NB 2FA= 2 Factor authentication, or 2 step verification)

The google problem: In general, if you can log in online via their web service then you should be able to update your account details to give a new 2FA phone number. If they won't let you go into your account page without wanting to send a code to your old phone, there usually is an alternative method offered, eg via email, or more personal questions.

Closing email problem: I have experienced this with BT. It is a whole lot of work!
You need to systematically work out what accounts/businesses use the closing email account and either: Close the account (because you don't need it), or update it to a new email address.

I would recommend an Apple address as the new one, since you are clearly an Apple user, and I have confidence that they will not close their email service.

Most urgent is to sort out the accounts that use 2FA. You want to ensure they have at least your new email address or current phone number. Ideally both!

It is amazing how many online accounts you discover you have- it took me months (working on and off) to sort it out.

Finally, don't forget all the people who may have the old email address in their address book. Because email clients auto fill the address and search their history for inspiration, even after people have been told, they still inadvertently send to the old account! With this in mind it is best to hold on to, and monitor, the old address for as long as John Lewis will let you.

Isn't this online world wonderful!

Re: Gmail & Apple Mail problems

Strangely, this topic appears twice and I replied on the other one.

I agree with Richard that, since you're effectively starting from scratch, it would be easier to use an Apple account.

Feed