Feed

Gmail & Apple Mail problems

Because John Lewis Broadband is to cease, and Plusnet will not be offering e-mail hosting, I have need to use my long but essentially unused Google account and associated Gmail address.
I understand Google e-mailing will work in conjunction with/through the Mail App which comes with the Mac OS – a much preferred option for me and my wife. There are clear instructions to enable this. However, I have been baulked in this by Google's 2-step verification/security features. I can log into our Google Account online and into Gmail, which has the number of our iPhone for back up verification purposes, but the moment I try to set up Gmail to run via Apple Mail I run into the problem that the verification process wants to send the magic code number to the number of an old/destroyed mobile phone!
Has anyone experience of anything like this, or suggestions as to what to do? Online searching does seem to indicate quite a history of users trying to set up the pairing. But so far I do not find a route to cancel the redundant phone number that is causing the problem. Google's security software seems determined to cause grief!

Re: Gmail & Apple Mail problems

Subtly avoiding answering your question, why not use Apple (iCloud) E-Mail? You get a free account with your Apple ID and can create several aliases if you need more than one account (though they're actually alternative addresses that all lead back to the same in-box).

Apple's various E-Mail apps work quite well with Apple accounts and the set-up is easy. :-)

Thank you, Tony, for your response. I fully understand why you suggest Apple for iCloud E-mail. I confess there is somewhat of a love/hate relationship with Apple in this household, so that explains why we want to use Google mail, although we are very long term Mac users. We have also suffered Apple ID problems several times in the past, a not too uncommon experience.
The problem has arisen because we are changing our ISP, for ISPs are increasingly not offering e-mail.

Again very many thanks for your response and suggestions,
John

Can you not log in to Google and delete the old number. I have just done this with no apparent problem.

Feed