Feed

Choosing a new iPad

My current iPad (9.7” iPad Pro, 128GB) is showing its age inasmuch as it won’t take the latest version of iPadOS and, more importantly, it’s home button is failing.

As a result I’m looking at the current range to make a plea to Santa and I think I’m down to choosing between the iPad and the iPad Air. Although the iPad is the later release, it has the A14 chip as opposed to the M1 chip in the iPad Air. I think the performance of either would be enough for my needs and the iPad has the price advantage of course. It looks to me like the iPad range is taking on the same role as the SE versions of the Watch and iPhone, both of which I have and am very happy with. However I’m a bit concerned about how much earlier software obsolescence may set in, compared to the M1-equipped Air.

Any views would be much appreciated.

Re: Choosing a new iPad

I've just gone through that with a new one for Jane. Decided that for what she (most people?) use the iPad for, the latest chip isn't worth the price difference from the standard iPad gen 9! Sorry if that's more of a hindrance than a help ;-)

Thanks Mick. I reached the same conclusion from the specs which is why my only remaining concern was how much earlier it might run into software obsolescence due to the older chip. Also I do have a Mk.1 Apple Pencil, bought with my 9.7"pro. Although I hardly ever use it, the fact that it would work with the new iPad (the iPad Air needs the Mk. 2) also appeals to my engineer's "can't throw it away 'cos it still works" mentality!

Okay, time for a post-Christmas update: Santa duly delivered a new iPad (10th gen), which I’m well pleased with. I’m now evaluating the compatibility issues arising from the Lightning to USB transition. (Mary and I are now both in the same position of having Lightning-equipped iPhones and USB-C iPads)

Charging arrangements are all sorted, with no adapters needed, but two issues are outstanding:

i) I have a Lightning to HDMI adapter for doing presentations from the (old) iPad which of course won’t plug into the new iPad.
ii) My Mk.1 Apple Pencil is apparently compatible with the new iPad but needs to be plugged into the USB-C port to pair it. However my Pencil is designed to plug into a lightning port, and comes with an adapter to connect it to a Lightning cable.

These issues could be solved by buying a new USB-C to HDMI adapter and a new USB-C Pencil adapter. However, skinflint that I am, I’m wondering whether I could kill two birds with one stone by buying a USB-C to Lightning cable which could be used in conjunction with the existing Pencil and HDMI adapters. Can anyone see any reason why this shouldn’t work. Or better still tell me from personal experience that it does!

I see there are plenty of third party USB-C to Lightning adapters but this does seem to be more of a minefield, in terms of what they can and cannot be used for..

Thanks in anticipation,

Trevor

I recently encountered similar problems and purchased third party adaptors that have now gone into the dustbin, a complete waste of money.

Penny wise and pound foolish.

I have tried two of these adaptors from Amazon both didn't work, but the last one did web address follows below
Dynamode C-TC-LIGHT, USB C Female to Lightning Male Adapter for iPhone,iPad, Mac, iPod- Fast Charging and Data Transmission, Durable Cable Connector

Can you take your adaptors to an Apple Store? I'm sure they would both offer advice and let you try a cable. However, the fact that Apple appears not to offer a USB-C to Lightning (female) cable may be a hint that this is not a good direction to go. [I assume that's the cable you need].

I would be reasonably confident that (charging) power would work but I don't think we know what non-standard tricks may be in Lightning protocols that could trip up an adaptor.

Thanks everyone. I like the idea of plonking the bits on the table at an Apple Store and challenging them to make it all work but I don't think I'm likely to be anywhere near a store in the near future. I share your suspicion Tony that there's often more to these Apple protocols than we know. I checked yesterday that my Lightning to HDMI adapter worked with my phone through to our TV and the phone flashed up a message that it needed to download some software to work with this accessory. It duly did so, and it all worked but this did seem to imply that the adapter somehow identified itself to the phone, functionality that could easily get lost going through a third party adapter.

Doug. That Dynamode adapter seems to get mixed reviews. Can you tell me exactly what you have used successfully with it?

In the meantime I think I will use Apple's online chat to ask whether there is any way my HDMI adapter can be used with the new iPad.

I have used it for charging my iPhone and syncing with my iMac and it has worked each time successfully

Thanks Doug. I got no help from Apple’s agent (or chat bot?) so I’ve ordered the Pencil adapter to start with. I’ll update here if I learn anything new.

Feed