Feed

Printer problem

My Canon MG6250 is no longer supported. In order to use it with El Capitan on my older iMac running El Capitan I have installed Gutenprint and thought I had done so with my newer M1 iMac running Monterey but it doesn't show in the Applications folder though it is in the Printers folder..

Recently attempts at printing JPEGs have resulted in the prints looking as if they have been spray painted with a wide nozzle, and are very, very dark and two figures so diffused as to be without shape. However, printing a PDF booklet with colour illustrations proved no problem. I have changed a JPEG file to PDF, The result has the correct definition but is overwhelmingly in shades of brown and yellow while the original has a small area of blue sky and one of dark green grass . Printing a couple of JPEGs via Preview provides a marginally better result with the two figures correctly defined though detail lost in the darker areas . All the inks are OK, I have cleaned the printer nozzles and printed out test charts which show all the colours of the test and am now stuck - to the point where I am considering replacing the printer. Before I do this, can anybody suggest a remedy?

Re: Printer problem

Is the problem with both Macs or just the M1? You say "recently" - were both fine until recently? If it's just the M1, have you installed an OS update since it printed OK? Either way, check for an update to the Gutenprint driver

The problem is with both Macs. There isn't a more recent update to Gutenprint than the one I installed on both the older iMac running on El Capitan and the newer Mac running on Monterey.

Have they worked with the latest install of Gutenprint "until recently"?

Can you print successfully using the standard Apple printing process?

Recently I have not had time to print photos - these days I usually spend time improving old photos - so am not sure if the latest Gutenprint version was installed when last I did so successfully.Also, I am not sure what you mean, Lionel, by the standard Apple print process. Suffice to say it is very puzzling that a full colour PDF printed perfectly whereas a photo file didn't.

Could you try (on the old iMac) deleting the driver and replacing it with one specifically for El Capitan? It may be there's a glitch in the latest driver.

I have decided to give in to a long wanted change of printer and so am getting an A3 Canon. Anybody want any generic ink cartridges - STI525 Large Black x6, & STI526 Black x4, Cyan x3, Yellow x5, Magenta x4 and Grey x3 at £1 each? They work perfectly well apart from the new problem in printing JPEG files, which is, as Mick suspects, more a problem with the driver for my M1 Mac than with the cartridges.

I do not have Gutenprint installed on my Mac, but when I want to print from Photos or anywhere else I go to the menu and choose Print. A dialogue appears identifying the printer connected and giving me various print options and then I click print and off it goes. Perhaps other members may recognise this routine.

I have been using exactly the method you describe Lionel. Somehow Gutenprint inserts itself into the routine, because it doesn't alter the way I have been successfully using it until now. I am devoutly hoping that I shan't need it with the new printer! It is listed as supporting AirPrint so that might be fine.

Feed