Feed

HP printer wi-fi connection

I have a HP Envy 6000 all in one printer which I use via wi-fi so that all my devices can print from anywhere in the house. Just recently for no apparent reason it lost its connection and I could not use it unless I connected it via USB and then it would only work with that particular device. The normal way of setting up the printer is through the HP Smart app. However try as I might I could not reconnect the wi-fi connection through my iMac which was adjacent to the printer. I checked on Youtube and one of the videos showed someone using a phone to set up the printer. As a last resort before the printer was hurled through the window, I tried using my phone. This worked first time without a hitch and now I can use the printer as before. Why the phone would work and the iMac would not is a mystery.

Re: HP printer wi-fi connection

I continued to have problems but on doing a wi-fi troubleshooting check, one of the suggestions was to move the router/ mesh unit closer to the computer. This seemed odd as it was only about half a metre away on the other side of a plywood panel. However on checking I noticed that the unit had been moved closer to the panel and closer to a cordless phone. I moved it back to its original place about 30 cm away and the problem went away.

The HP smart app with which, as I mentioned, you are expected to setup the printer still will not recognise my printer from the iMac or MacBook but the app on mySamsung phone does recognise it. The printer still works from either Mac. This his a bit strange and trying to get any help through the HP website is a frustrating exercise.

As long as you've been able to get the printer to join your wireless network, I suspect the Macs will be able to see it when using the "add printer" option in System Preferences>Printers so you wouldn't need the HP utility.

That is true ,however you still need the HPSmart app should the printer lose its wi-fi connection. Living in an area where power cuts happen several times a year losing the wi-fi connection is not a rare experience.

You need the HPSmart app to get it to join your network?

I used to get power cuts here - not so much now - so invested in a UPS. Money very well spent as it saves lots of grief.

Feed