Feed

Ipad storage

I have ipad air2 with 16GB capacity. I keep getting a message saying my storage is full. I have done all the obvious - deleting apps no longer needed and off loading all the other apps but it still tells me the ipad is full. System data is 5.87 GB and ipad os is 6.8GB. Those two are by far the largest items and I only have the obvious mail, safari,contacts, calendar, photos, etc live. The only way I can get to do almost anything on the ipad now is to delete my daily newspaper app and that frees up about 1.5 GB Then i have to re install it, if there is enough room, when I want to read it. Very annoying!
What is the iPad os? And why is it so big.
Is there anything I can do?
Help much appreciated.
Ann Evans

Re: Ipad storage

One question Ann - are you sure it's the iPad storage you're being warned about and not your iCloud storage?

Yes it is the ipad storage that the problem

My Air2 16GB shows very similar figures to yours. My guess is that system data is the files that actually make the iPad work while iPad OS is the graphical interface that interacts with us to make using the iPad as nice as it is.

I expect that when the Air2 was current, the then equivalent of these files took up much less space but as software evolves, it gets bigger! If you check on Apple's web site, the smallest iPad storage on offer is now 64GB.

You may be able to buy a flash drive to plug in and run some apps from there but I've no experience of that so you'd need to research it. I'm sure you could transfer photos & videos. The alternative is a nice new iPad ;-)

I have run into a similar problem on my iPhone and it turned out to be the following… the phone had downloaded the next version of the operating system ready to install and this had soaked up most of the spare memory.

Once the upgrade has been installed the storage becomes free again

Thank you both for replies - my ipad is up date and has been for some time so feel that no more storage will be released. I am liking Mick’s suggestion a bit more ! A new ipad …. Will have to investigate the bank account ! Thanks again

16GB is very tight for an iPad these days but you may be able to keep it running if you're careful. First of all, try shutting down and restarting the pad (crossing your fingers at the same time may help).

The first big item you mention is iPadOS (Operating System). You can't do anything about this as it's all the programs that make the pad work (eg Safari, Mail as well as all the under-the-bonnet stuff).

You should be able to reduce System Data though (but be aware that it will creep back over time). An easy place too start is Safari: go to Settings > Safari > Clear History & Website Data to do this. Beware that this will likely wipe the log-in details and settings that Safari remembers about web sites (and uses, eg, when it auto-fills your credentials to log-in); make sure you have a copy of user names and passwords before you do this.

If you have a Mac (or a PC with iTunes installed) others have recommended backing up the pad to the computer before wiping it and then restoring from the computer. This removes a lot of temporary system housekeeping data (that will also grow back over time). You can read about that here, along with some other ideas.

You can also remove any other apps that aren't vital. Then, in Messages and Mail, delete any non-essential attachments to old received or sent items. Have a quick look in the Files app too, using 'On My iPad' in the lefthand column - anything you see there is fair game to delete (but ensure you have a copy elsewhere of anything important).

A new iPad will be faster and more fun but best of luck.

Feed