Feed

Gutenprint

Having previously used Gutenprint (v5.3.3)succesfully on my old iMac, running Monterey I am have installed it on a new M1 iMac, also running Monterey. The Mac sees the printer, but will not add it to the printer list. Has anyone had this problem and solved it?

I am reluctant to get a new Canon printer - those in my price raange now have only 2 in cartridges as opposed to 6.

Re: Gutenprint

Guessing you transferred everything from your old iMac to the new one (including Gutenprint) does the new iMac need a revised version now it's an Apple chip not Intel or perhaps Apple's emulator?

DOn't know why Gutenprint wasn't downloaded Mick. With no input from me, Migration Assistant took over while I was out of the room, and I came back to find pretty well everything else on the new M1. I have downloaded the latest version of Gutenprint, which I know runs on Monterey - because it does with the older iMac - no mention that I could find on the Gutenprint site of a different version for the Apple chip .

But does it now work?

Apologies for omitting vital information! No, it doen't work and there is a clue as to why. I have now gone through the installation of the dmg. three times. When installing the destination is correctly shown but on completion there is no sign of the app in the Applications folder.

Looking at the Gutenprint download area for 5.3.3 there's a note which states it's not compatible with Catalina and later but you've had it working with Monterey so I suppose it should say "not guaranteed". However, it also says it requires Intel 32 which I took to mean an Intel chip capable of running 32 bit code. Neither of which you now have. But then Monterey did not support 32 bit code.

In contradiction, the Gimp-Print site says 5.3.3 is 64 bit only! That would work on Monterey but may still require an Intel chip. You may therefore need Rosetta to run it, if indeed it will install - but that's another issue! As far as I know, the only way to download Rosetta is to try to launch an app which needs it. To find one, click on the black Apple logo then About This Mac. Click System Report and then under Software highlight Applications. When the list appears, hopefully you'll have some that say Intel (Universal apps will not need Rosetta). Launch an Intel app then follow the instructions for Rosetta.

If you've successfully installed Rosetta, try installing Gutenprint again. If it won't install, try copying it from Applications on your old iMac.

I have now run out of ideas ;-)

Enough to keep me busy! I'll let you how how I get on. Meanwhile I have to get back to Apple Support as the Intel iMac has been running extremely slowly - like three and a half minutes to open Pges and get a new document - and they are dealing with it - I hope!

Cracked it! Found this:
Wirelessly print to an AirPrint printer
Make sure your printer is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your Mac. ...
With a document open on your Mac, choose File > Print in the app you're using.
Click the Printer menu, then choose your AirPrint printer. ...
Select the other print options you want and click Print.
And it works.

Thinking about this, I don't know why it didn't work immediately. The only thing that I changed was to plug the printer into the M1 via a powered hub - but that's not Airprint!

I print to my HP printer wirelessly from anywhere in the house however if I connect my iMac to the printer with a cable I cannot print wirelessly for any other device, it seem to be an all or nothing approach. However on one occasion the printer would not print from anything and it appeared to have lost its connection. The old hack of turning it off, pausing for a while and then turning it on again caused it to regain its connection. I think a local power cut had upset it.

Feed