Feed

importing from DV camcorder into iMovie

27 inch iMac mid 2011
I haven't attempted this for a few years as my camcorder's Firewire 400 port apparently ceased to work. I bought another one last week on eBay, and a Firewire 400 to 800 cable. Yesterday all worked perfectly, but today it started importing until I stopped it to check something; now I get the message, 'Error communicating with Camera'. The cable cost £3.59. Any ideas?

Re: importing from DV camcorder into iMovie

I thought it was probably the cheap cable, they sent me another one, same result. I bought an expensive cable, same result. My two other camcorders are definitely faulty as in their case it says 'No camera attached'.
Gulp!

Might be something dodgy on the camera's connector? At best some dirt or fluff? At worst... Good luck!

Thanks Euan, I've checked all that. What I do find very odd is that the same port keeps conking out on all my camcorders.....

Even more odd; just tried it again and it said Camera disconnected or off. Fired up iMovie on my other hard drive and it says Error communicating with camera. Back to this one and IT too now says Error communicating with camera....

It could be the port in the Mac?

It could be Mick, although in the past its always been the camcorder port, which is why I've now got three, possibly four, camcorders that refuse to export.....

Feed