Feed

Broadbad speed tests

I recently did a speed test using the BTW speed test which gave me a download speed of 139.48 Mbps and Upload of 18.65 Mbps. I then used the Ookla Speed Test which gave 73.1 Mbps download and 18.5 Mbps Upload. The Ookla test is more realistic for my line and my broadband package. Why such a difference, does the BTW test check something different. Neither test seems to explain what they are actually testing.

The BTW test seems to be the test that you are told to use if you are having problems. Overestimating by 100 percent would soon solve your problem.

Re: Broadbad speed tests

I did two Ookla and two BTW tests

(75.57 — 18.13) & (75.50 — 18.13

(299.79 — 15.71) & (177.61) — 11.95)

I stick with Ookla for my tests.

We had an engineer come out a month or two back to try to trace an issue with our connection. I noticed that he used Ookla on his laptop whereas our ISP (Plusnet) always asks you to use the BT Wholesale site. I asked the engineer about this and, though I can't remember his exact words, the message was basically that he believed the Ookla results but not those from the BT tester.

I also had an issue with our telephone line a few weeks ago and had to have the cable between the post & bungalow replaced. The engineer also used Ookla to test the line, explaining that it always gave a "True Result".

I wonder if all Open Reach engineers use Ookla?

I cannot understand why the BTW test is so optimistic. It seems to have happened since the design of the website has changed. A few years ago this test was always pessimistic and was the test to use when you had problems with your connection.

Some months have passed now and the BTW speed test is now giving the same, or similar, readings to Ookla

Feed