Feed

dim screen Imac mid 2011 el Capitan

When I started up today the screen was about half as bright as usual. I restarted with the same result, so I started up again on Mountain Lion, still dim; restarted on El Cap same result, which made things very difficult to watch. However, I attended a Zoom meeting on which the screen was now normal brightness. The meeting has now finished and the normal brightness is still there.
Any ideas anyone?

Re: dim screen Imac mid 2011 el Capitan

Presumably you've tried the brightness control in System Preferences (on the Apple menu) in the displays section?

No, but I was hoping that there was such a thing! Hmm, I've had a look but it must be lurking somewhere and wearing a mask.....

System Preferences > Displays > Brightness.

AHA! I've twigged it, silly me for trying to find it on my Mini.....
Thank you Tony and Drew, it is set to maximum brightness, but that doesn't explain why it would choose to alter its own settings willy nilly; I'll wait for it to happen again and check system prefs immediately. I suspect a hardware problem though, gulp.

You also have on the keyboard F1 and F2 for altering the screen brightness

Thanks Doug, I'll give that a try!

As to how it happened, Doug may have put his finger on it (!).

Ooo, Tony, you are a one!

This is a well known problem in IT support teams, they call it a 'PEBCAK' type error. (Ducking quickly for cover :-)

hee hee hee

dimity | ˈdɪmɪti |
noun [mass noun ]
a hard-wearing cotton fabric woven with stripes or checks: a nightcap in white dimity edged with lace | [as modifier ] : gay dimity curtains.
ORIGIN
late Middle English: from Italian dimito or medieval Latin dimitum, from Greek dimitos, from di- ‘twice’ + mitos ‘warp thread’; the origin of the final -y is unknown.

PEBCAK

Stands for Problem Exists Between Chair and Keyboard.

Y oh Y oh Y.....

just happened again - system prefs - displays - it had reset itself to dim - unchecked 'automatically adjust brightness' - wait and see......(fingers crossed)

Feed