Feed

Anti virus for Mac

Whilst I have used a Mac for a number of years and as far as I am aware Mac security has been successful in protecting me from any damaging Virus- wondering if any members use anti-virus software in the very changing environment and increasing scams that seem to be about

Re: Anti virus for Mac

I think this Which link sums up my thoughts pretty well.

Personally I think I'm pretty good at detecting phishing/scam attacks, know the origins of the software I download, stay away from Microsoft Office and understand the files I pass on to other users. I also trust Apple for the more serious stuff.

I got my first Mac 27 years ago, been (mac) virus free all that time without the need for antivirus software continually running and clogging up my Mac

I have run antivirus software for a single scan once in a while and found nothing except (Windows) virus contaminated Office files in my email, then I uninstall the software for another 4/5 years...

The only issue I've ever had is actually because of some antivirus software I thought I had uninstalled long ago. An extension somehow left over from some Symantec AV software uninstall prevented a new OS Upgrade from booting! Very annoying... Such extensions were actually security risks themselves but that's another story...

Of course your own confidence and the way/riskiness you use your Mac will be different.

Beware, AV software like to raise every minor non-issue you might have to make you paranoid enough to continually pay next years subscription... :-)

Re: Anti virus for Mac

Thanks, Eleanor- very much for your response

Feed