Feed

programming a custom control on IOS

I am experimenting with using a iphone as a music player, wirelessly to the HiFi using airplay. The iphone acts as a remote, with volume being adjustable via the side volume buttons.

However, it would be great to be able to move to the next track in one move, rather than touching power button and then touching the forward arrows. (I know it not much of an effort, but I am trying to emulate the ease of use of a remote control)

So, is there a way of assigning a shake of the phone or a tap of the power button to the next track function of the Music app?

I have explored the accessibility settings without success.
Thanks
Richard

Re: programming a custom control on IOS

Siri?

Nice idea.. I tried it and it works.

The downsides are:
Having to have Siri listening all the time (we have objections to this!)
Having to say loudly "Hey Siri, next track" -which is a little uncool.

So, I'm still on the search for a solution....

You don't have to have Siri listening all the time - you can invoke it with a long press on the home button (or however the face recognition phones do it if that's what you have). But if you're trying to do it without pressing a button, I'm stuck for ideas - back tap is not an option as far as I can see.

As an aside, if you think saying "Hey Siri, next track" is uncool, it suggests you think you're cool if you don't have to say it ;-)

Thanks for the research Mick. I wonder if our resident expert on shortcuts (Rick) can offer a solution.

Regarding "uncool": I think it indicates that I don't want to be any more uncool than I already am!

I didn't suggest a shortcut as you'd have to tap that to invoke it so you may as well tap "next track".

I don't think you'll be able to do it unless you resort to Xcode ;-)

Richard, You can use an Apple watch as a remote - and you don't even have to pick it up :)

You can use 'Back Tap' (under Settings: Accessibility: Touch) to trigger a shortcut. So in Shortcuts, define a shortcut that uses the 'Skip forwards' action to move to the next track, and then in Settings associate that shortcut with a double or triple tap on the back of the phone.

(Back Tap apparently requires iOS 14 or later, and an iPhone 8 or later.)

Edit: it doesn't work when the display is off, so that's not much use.

Ooo, so close to a solution! Thanks for trying Andrew. I think, based on all the above posts, that my wish is not achievable. Hey-Ho.

How about preventing the screen from locking (i.e. Turn auto-lock to never), display the player controls and then no having to wake it up! :-)

Nice idea! A quick experiment shows that you can still turn the device on and off, so the device would be left on for the listening session /turned off at the end. I can see there may be some power issues- but it could be just left on charge all the time. (Since this would be the only role for this device)

Richard, My old iPhone is doing duty as a music player in my workshop. It is paired to a bluetooth speaker and I find that just turning the speaker on (one button press) is enough to start the music playing - I don't need to touch the phone. The phone is permanently connected to a charger through a 7 day timer that gives it a charge three times a week.

Feed