Feed

Email Aliases Gone AWOL

I have 3 email aliases associated with my email address. Two of these have disappeared from the drop down list on the "From" line when sending a NEW email and also under Mail > Preferences > accounts tab > Accounts Information > email address drop down menu.

I continue to receive emails under these aliases and can reply to an email received on ANY of my several email addresses, including talktalk ones, with these iCloud aliases but I cannot use them with a new email.

I have looked on the webmail page where aliases can be added but they are shown as intact. I am reluctant to delete and then re-install them in case I lose the emails I wish to keep that have already arrived under these aliases or are they kept under the umbrella of the "proper" email address?

Any ideas what I should do to reinstate these aliases or is this a chance to delete them and start afresh?

Re: Email Aliases Gone AWOL

I assume you're talking about iCloud address aliases.

This sounds a lot like a problem that surfaced a year ago with iOS 14. As Apple seems to be trying to increase code commonality between iOS and macOS, it would not be surprising if this code, or something inspired by it, had crept into macOS.

Ensuring that there is no regression when code is shared (ie ensuring that they used the fixed version) is a major challenge to software change control. I suggest you do nothing for a little while as it will probably get fixed (I think you're right to be cautious about deleting them).

SOLUTION
After several goes I found this on the iCloud mail page instead of in Mail Preferences on the Mac (where it ought to be). Setting up aliases should be allowed on the Mac too

After going to webmail select preferences. This is an icon of a cogged wheel. Then click Composing. Under SEND FROM you can tick those aliases you want to send from and the preferred one. (The ones I cannot send from were unticked)

Although selecting the preferred one seems to ignore your setting after saving and returning here you find that it has accepted your selection and the tick in that address will be grey.

You have to sign out of the web account for the changes to take place

Having turned them back on, can you now use them again to send from the macOS Mail app?

To quote Bob the Builder "Yes we can"

Feed