Feed

Save As instead of Duplicate

Somewhere (possibly Macmost.com) I found where I can replace "Duplicate", which I find difficult to master, with "Save As" permanently. I know that in System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts tab > App Shortcuts > I have Saved As as shortcut Shift-Command-S (pedantically I think this should be Shift-Command-s but I am using what is shown on my computer) but I think there is more to it.

I searched Macmost's website but cannot find the reference. Does anyone know where I may have found this information?

Re: Save As instead of Duplicate

With the document open:

Hold down the Option key on your keyboard, then choose File > Save As (from the File menu at the top of your screen).

Enter a name for the copy, then press Return.

Yes I was aware of the optional option key but I wanted a permanent solution, possibly using the option key to get to Duplicate, should I ever find it necessary to use such a strange action.

If I understand the issue, you want to replace 'Duplicate' with 'Save As' on the file menu because you prefer the ergonomics of the latter. Or perhaps you just want 'Save As' to reclaim its short cut of Shift-Command-S instead of Shift-Option-Command-S?

I don't think you can, at least not without using some clever add-on software because I think those items are part of macOS's Appkit's NSDocument (they certainly happen automatically, and sometimes change autonomously, in software I have written).

You might investigate Keyboard Maestro, an automation tool that Andrew presented to us some time ago. There may be other options too

Feed