Feed

surveillance

Today's edition of UK Column News around the 20 minute mark has a fascinating report on a nasty government trick which can affect iPhones etc.... UKColumn.org

Re: surveillance

This is the commercial Pegasus tool. It's sold to governments and exploits security bugs in iOS etc. There is more here, including a list of dodgy governments that use it.

Apple has responded to the story and their response includes (I'm copying from the referenced item):
"Attacks like the ones described are highly sophisticated, cost millions of dollars to develop, often have a short shelf life, and are used to target specific individuals. While that means they are not a threat to the overwhelming majority of our users, we continue to work tirelessly to defend all our customers, and we are constantly adding new protections for their devices and data."

Expect the next release of iOS to stop Pegasus working, followed by Pegasus using newly-discovered bugs to start working again, followed by Apple fixing... <repeat until the sun goes cold>.

I don't think the sun goes cold it just hides round the other side of the earth for a while. I've watched it and its true!

I think Tony’s thinking slightly longer term!

Interesting thought Rick, I was convinced we live in a geocentric universe by watching Malcolm Bowden on Youtube....

I have watched the sun bouncing along the northern horizon while my earth shook. This is 'expected behaviour', a feature not a bug. Scary !

I had a similar experience when my neighbour gave me some home brewed marc, (apple brandy) stronger than any whisky you can buy...

If your child had been abducted, the nasty government trick may prove handy in finding them again.

Feed