Feed

Hiding QTP Controls in Full Screen

I cannot find any way of hiding the transport panel in QuickTime Player (v10.5). At present it lies over any text I put on the screen at this location. The video is in .mov form and the window set to Full Screen. I attached the MacBook to a decent size screen by an HDMI cable but will be using the same cable to a projector for a presentation. No matter where I put the cursor or how long I wait, it and the transport panel do not disappear.

The only way of removing the controls is to exit Full Screen and place the cursor at the top which reveals the menu and traffic light/movie title strips. These remain with the cursor and look very amateurish. I would have expected there to be a hide switch in Preferences like there is in Widows Media Player Options but strangely there is no Preferences item in the menus. I found the following paragraph on the internet but I do not understand the terms “keyed for Pro use” and the “Properties window” and “changing the….. controller type”. (The .mov file properties window has no controller type).

"The QT 7 media player window normally displays the controls at all times. However, when keyed for "Pro" use, you can go to the "Properties" window and change the "Presentation" movie controller type to the "None Movie Controller" setting. In this setting all playing modes other than "Full" screen mode display the player with title bar above the viewing area but without side frame or controls under the display. If you are using the "Full" screen mode for your presentation, then you can open the "Preferences" window to the "Full Screen" tab and deselect display of the "full-screen controls." In both cases you will have to either use menu options to start/stop playback or double-click the display screen to start playback and single-click the display screen to stop playback manually. (NOTE: In the first instance the property setting is/can be saved to the file itself while in the second the setting is saved as a QT 7 Player preference to the player itself.)"

Can anyone assist me?

Re: Hiding QTP Controls in Full Screen

Sounds like you have to buy a ‘pro’ key to get access to such advanced features!

Hi Rick, curious about your post, I fired up the mac (Catalina) Used quicktime (10.5) and a .mov file.
I find that you only have to move the mouse, or touch the touchpad and the controls appear, wherever the cursor is on the screen. Being hands off results in the controls disappearing after 3 sec. Even bumping the table is enough to bring the controls back up!

The more frustrated one gets, the more one moves the mouse trying to find a solution the longer it stays. I consider that to be inbuilt 'AB' (artificial Bloodly-mindedness!)
I hope that helps,
Richard

Well that's weird. I was about to ask whether you were in full screen mode and decided to check and now the transport panel disappears after 3 seconds and the cursor usually as well, although on one occasion it hung on.

I thought it may have been something to do with using an HMDI cable but tests in this configuration also allow the panel to stay (Edited Sorry meant disappear). All I can say is that left alone yesterday without an external display and previously connected to my friends TV both the panel and the cursor stubbornly refused to go!

It looks like the discussion on the internet was for an earlier version.

Thanks Richard for getting me to try again.

Just tried using HDMI to the TV. The transport panel disappears as before, unless you leave the cursor over it -in this state it does not vanish. On checking, the behaviour is the exactly the same without the HDMI cable.

I've edited my post above. Yes the panel now disappears when connected to the TV. Unfortunately I had somehow got it into a state using my friends TV when it refused no matter where the cursor was placed. Neither the cursor nor the panel disappeared. The computer was fired up from shut down at his house and again when I returned home.

All well that ends well!

Feed