Feed

Copying files from Mac to iPhone

I am exploring a new cycling app at present which allows me to import GPS files. When I open the procedure it shows the same locations as when Files is opened. There are a small number of apps such as GarageBand but there is one folder called Downloads. How does one copy a file from the Mac into this folder on the iPhone?

Re: Copying files from Mac to iPhone

It sounds as though copying the file to iCloud drive on the Mac should do it.

(I believe the ‘Downloads’ folder is where Safari on iOS downloads files to. I don’t think it’s particularly relevant here.)

Thanks Andrew.
I've copied a file into iCloud Drive on the Mac but it doesn't show up on my phone. On the phone the App, (Komoot) doesn't appear in the list in Settings>my name>iCloud>APPS USING ICLOUD. I'm not sure whether this is relevant.

The Komoot App itself sees Shortcuts and Pages, the same as the Files app. (The file within Pages is grey as it is obviously an incorrect format for Komoot). Strangely the Pages file does not show up on the Mac.

I saved another Pages file to iCloud on the Mac but this didn't show up on the iPhone either. Puzzling!

No, I don’t think it matters that it is not an ‘app using iCloud’ -- the relevant ‘app’ here would be iCloud Drive.

If the file is not even showing up in the Files app on the iPhone then perhaps you don’t have iCloud Drive enabled on the phone? (To check: Settings > your name > iCloud, scroll down to the ‘iCloud Drive’ option, just below the first block of APPS USING ICLOUD, and make sure it is turned on).

Another way to get a file from the Mac into the Files app on an iOS device without needing iCloud Drive would be to use AirDrop -- e.g. right-click on the file in Finder, select ‘AirDrop’ from the ‘Share’ sub-menu, and select your phone when it appears in the AirDrop window. On the phone it should now show an AirDrop ‘Open with...’ menu which includes a ‘Files’ option. Select ‘Files’ and then select a location to save to (you can leave the location as ‘On My iPhone’, you don’t need to select a subfolder).

Alternatively: maybe don’t do it through the phone at all. From Komoot’s documentation it looks as though you can import GPS files into your account via their website (the ‘Import a GPS file on the Website’ section). Is that what you are trying to do?

If you copy the file to iCloud Drive it should show in the files folder on your iPhone if it doesn't back up the iPhone to iCloud it should appear then

Interesting, when I use Airdrop from the Mac, I right click the file, share, select Airdrop, select iPhone and click done....nothing appears on the phone no "will you accept this file"
However I have discovered an alternative method. By emailing the file and opening the attachment and sharing it with Komoot it will import the file.
I will look at importing into my account on the website although at some stage it will have to be copied to my phone

using iCloud backup, Douglas - My backup will exceed 5GBytes and anyway I prefer to keep my information away from USA servers. I'm old fashioned that way!

Re Airdrop: There’s usually a pause then it goes into waiting mode until the recipient accepts the transfer. Maybe you’re clicking Done too soon?

I don't think your devices will display "will you accept…" as they all belong to you.

Good point. I’ve only ever used Airdrop to transfer files to/from other people.

Feed