Feed

Group emails via IOS

A friend says when she sends a group email on her iPad (she has no Mac), it shows just the group in the To field, not the individual addresses and will not send. When I try the same on my IOS devices it works fine displaying all the addresses. On my Mac I have set email Preferences Composing “When sending to a group, show all member addresses” ticked, but I cannot find a similar setting on IOS or on iCloud via browser.

Googling has suggestions of work arounds but as I don’t need one I am wondering why these are offered.

One thought is that my friend is probably using Yahoo to hold contacts not iCloud; could that be the problem.

Suggestions welcome

Re: Group emails via IOS

David, I think you're correct.

I very much doubt Mail has any way of matching typed characters against names in Yahoo (as it does in Contacts) so it will treat them as the start of an address. Since they aren't a complete address, it won't be able to send the message to anyone.

Can your friend copy/paste the set of addresses into the message instead? Otherwise, she might have to import the addresses to Contacts but that comes with the burden of maintaining two copies whenever anything changes.

Hi Tony
The addresses are in Contacts but to a Yahoo account.
The work around seems to be to create a contact with a name relating to group and then add all the email addresses in the notes area for that contact separated by commas. So copy and paste. That seems very clunky, so I will get her to move addresses to iCloud and see if thst sorts.

If you mean that the addresses are all in Contacts but they are to Yahoo E-Mail accounts, that shouldn't make any difference.

It sounds to me as though the group isn't in Contacts. When I start typing a group name in Mail on iPad, it offers me those group names that match what I have typed, so I couldd click on one. If I type the entire name, then tap in the body of the message, the list name turns blue to indicate that it's been recognised.

Why not ask your friend to display her group(s) in Contacts and then send you a screenshot - that would let you understand what she has actually set up.

Actually... I don't think you can create a group on iPad so it's definitely worth checking. If the group is missing, your friend could use iCloud.com to create one that would then be visible on her iPad.

Feed