Feed

Terminal expertise required

I have got myself in a bind and cannot proceed using the external commands so I will have to use Terminal to copy the contents of an external drive called "ext1" to an internal drive called "Main1". Please can you supply the Terminal commands.

The machine will not boot at the moment as the Main1 drive/partition contains some key information. which is not available.

An alternative would be to get the machine to boot up from the external drives/partitions - however that is beyond me at the moment

Thanks for any help

Re: Terminal expertise required

Big Sur has changed so much that we have to get used to from now on, hence the MacOS 11 version name. As you know, settling down the internal structural changes is taking time - however innocent and familiar the outward look and feel may appear. This is particularly an issue with using an external drive for booting the Mac.

There is a lot of information available if you google this. or this or this but do make sure that the information is relevant to Big Sur.

Contacting Apple Support to have a one to one (free) 'phone conversation could be a solution.

It may be simpler to start from scratch by using the Recovery System to wipe, download and re-install your Big Sur from Apple, and then migrate your data.

Thanks still thinking

Problem solved via a download of Big Sur (again and again)

Feed