Feed

Google Surveillance

David Whitton forwarded me this rather disturbing video he had received with the accompanying text:-

“For those who didn’t know. It is no wonder that law enforcement is very interested in getting possession of a perp’s cell phone. This is no longer 1984. This is complete lack of privacy. Note that what you see here are two identical cell phones both without SIM cards, one in Airplane mode and one not.” (Perp is US term for criminal)

As the video referee to identical phones, I think we can assume both are Android. That raises the question, would the same happen with an iPhone, at least if Google apps installed. Mick and I have discussed it and concluded that the surveillance was all based entirely on the GPS system and Mick questioned would turning off Location Services stop it.

Re: Google Surveillance

Not worth worrying about David, we are on camera wherever we go.

I’ve so far managed without a Google (or Youtube) account. I do use their search engine though so I’m not sure whether I’m achieving anything by not signing up.

We are the product that is sold to the customers (political parties, commercial concerns)

Otherwise why would they spend the money on all the toys to monitor us.

It's valid to ask if you should care about being tracked but some, me included, consider it rude if nothing else. Google's motives are likely only to be money: Google earns its money by selling adverts, it can charge more for better targeted ads so it wants to know about you.

In my opinion, you are much less exposed to Google and others taking your data if you have an iOS (iPhone/iPad) device but this is a long running argument. Google makes Android and gives it away to phone manufacturers hoping it will be widely used. The Android kernel was not originally designed with app separation in mind and Google does gain if users' data is not private. iOS was designed by Apple with app security/separation as a priority, Apple uses privacy as a selling point so does lose credibility if users' data leaks.

I do think you can prevent this on an iPhone. You need to manage your Privacy settings carefully when an app asks to access features of your phone (on iOS, apps cannot just grab data like your location, they have to ask iOS and iOS will check with you). Your location is generally known by iOS (GPS is not turned off by Aeroplane mode and iOS also uses other means to get it) and by your telephone service provider (so it can get your calls to you) - you just have to trust those two.

When an app wants to use your location, you can refuse or grant access always or only when you're using the app. Think about why it might need your location and answer accordingly; if in doubt, say 'no'.

Apps may also ask to access your Contacts, if granted, they can access every contact and associated addresses. They may ask to access Photos: every photo contains the location and time you took it (better to grant access to a single photo). There are other sources of location too, keep saying 'no' to starve apps of data they don't absolutely need yet might "share".

Review the access you have already granted: start in Settings > Privacy.
Under Location Services, check each app. If you grant access then consider using 'While Using the App', then consider turning off 'Precise Location'. These are all judgements but I think it's obvious that Google Maps, say, needs my accurate location while I'm using it but Angry Birds never needs it. Then check access to Contacts and Photos (at least).

That should hopefully address most of the concerns in the original video.

Ephesians 6:12
Authorized (King James) Version

12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Apple has published a comprehensive review of its privacy measures here. and a summary here.

This Computerworld article may be useful too.

Eric - you shouldn't talk about FaceBook like that. ;-)

Sorry Tony, I was thinking of the puppets in Parliament....

By just carrying a phone around you are telling your server and anyone who can satisfy a magistrate that the have a need to know just where you are and when. iPhone or Samsung it makes no difference

Lionel - true, but isn't that a good thing?

Hatt Mancock thinks its a good thing....

Feed