Feed

Broadband speed tests

I hd a look at two Speedtest apps today and got very different results. The first test used the Oolkla Speedtest and gave me 71.5 Mbps Download and 18,9 Mbps Upload, which is about what I would expect on an FTC super fast connection and this is fairly consistent. For interest, I then used the BT Wholesale test which is usually recommended by ISPs for being more accurate. My results on this were quite startling, 282.75Mbps download and 17.97 Mbps upload.

I would like to think that my system was running at 282 Mbps download but clearly it is not.

Any suggestions?

Re: Broadband speed tests

I've found the Ookla Speedtest very consistent (which of course doesn't mean that it's accurate!). I'd try the BT one again if I were you - looks like it had a glitch somewhere.

The BT test may be measuring what the line is capable of, the other is probably showing the speed you've paid your ISP for.

I tried it again today and it gave me the same result. It doesn't say it is testing the absolute speed of the line, in which case the upload speed would also be much higher. However that is very similar to the Ookla test. Previously when I have used the BTW test it has given results slightly lower than the Ookla test

Look at your contract with your ISP to see what you're paying for.

I tried the BTW test again this evening and again the download read 282mbps I checked to see if there was anything to say it measured the absolute performance of the line but it seemed to confirm what I thought which was it measured the performance at the device.

The contract I have is with Plusnet for a FTC fibre extra service which they guarantee to be over 59mbps

I think you'll find it's called a 70Mbps contract - mine is. If it's not, I'm out of ideas - talk to Plus Net.

Feed