Feed

Trouble with the cursor and mouse

Running Big Sur on my 2015 iMac the cursor has just started to behave uncontrollaby; the insert cursor clicks away to the end of an entry box or a line and in addition the mouse pointer is not responding precisely. Restarting the system stops this, but the actions return after a while. This has started today and I am puzzled to know why - can't find anything relevant on the internet.
Have many people at AUGW had problems with Big Sur? It is also running very slowly both in opening on a reboot (8-12 minutes) and in booting up standard programmes (8-10 seconds to open Pages with a further 6 or so to open a blank template). Maybe I should consider reverting to Catalina.

Re: Trouble with the cursor and mouse

Have you tried a different mouse before assuming a software problem causing cursor misbehaviour? Just a thought.

Big Sur seems to run fine on my 2016 MacBook Pro and I can't sense any change in boot uptime over Catalina, basically very fast, but I have benefit of SSD.

You could try a safe boot and see if that cleans things up a bit.

Running fine on 2015 MacBook Pro (and 2018 Mini) here - no issues that you describe. I run my laptop with a mouse too as I don't like trackpads.

I am running Big Sur on a 2015 iMac with no problems at all, I am booting it from an external SSD through the ThunderBolt 2 port which makes the Mac quite fast, I use a magic track pad as well which I find very good

Is it a Bluetooth mouse? I have read of problems with BT on Big Sur though I thought they were on Apple, not Intel, powered machines. BT often gets broken, there are various remedies online but deleting and re-pairing is the place to start.

Slow running is to be expected for a little while after installing but should go away of its own accord.

I have had a variety of software incompatibility problems with Big Sur but only with particular apps. I suppose that could change when I actually install it...

Solved the problem with the mouse. It is the first time I have had a Magic Mouse, and it was apparently letting me know that it needed recharging. Did that, and it is now fine.

I am certainly planning on having an SSD replace the existing hard drive in the iMac, but lockdown is hindering that for the moment - I have found Hero in Southampton and they seem to be both reasonable and competent. I knew that this refurb 2015 model would likely be slower than my 2007 iMac, as that had an SSD and of course, a simpler version of the OS, but taking 15 seconds to launch Pages etc. is slow, and booting back into Big Sur from the El Capitan partition that I have takes around 8 minutes. I doubt that will be completely remedied by the SSD though and am looking for answers online, but so far have found nothing helpful

My 2015 iMac was slow using the internal HD as the spindle speed was slower than my old iMac that's why I went for an external SSD. I was able to get an old LaCie Rugged drive with a Thunderbolt 2 cable connection and substituted the HD in it for a SSD, and now my iMac takes about 30 seconds to start up now

Thanks for the idea Doug. Food for thought!

Feed