Feed

A problem amending a Groupsin Contacts

Trying to move a contact into an existing group does not happen. Trying to delete the group in order to recreate it with the new contact also doesn't happen. It isn't a Smart Group, so what can be the cause of the block?

Re: A problem amending a Groupsin Contacts

Could we clarify? To add a contact to a group, in All Contacts, drag the contact to the desired group. Note, this does not "move" it - it still remains in All Contacts.

You need to remove all contacts from a group (this does not delete them from All Contacts) before you can delete the group.

Post again if neither comment helps - or you know how to phone me ;-)

Dragging contacts in either direction didn't work. Deleting a Group was greyed out as was Deleting a Contact in the File menu. I felt it must be because the contacts were stored in iCloud, so I disconnected Contacts from iCloud in System Preferences. That resulted in an empty Contacts app. However pretty well all of my contacts were also stored in another app and I dropped the V-cards onto Contacts and got them back. I do need to reconstitute the various Groups but can now move individual records in and out of Groups. Also the greyed out options are back in the File menu.

I am sure that there has to be some way to do all these actions with contacts stored in iCloud but can't find any reference to it. What have I overlooked?

I’m not sure Michael because all my contacts are stored in the cloud and it works as expected for me.

Just a thought - as they're in iCloud, you are signed in to your Apple ID? If not, it may not let you alter what's on iCloud.

Yes I am signed in - Calendar and Notes both update from entries made on the iPhone. And Contacts was signed in - as I wrote earlier, it was only after I disconnected it from iCloud that things changed.

Feed