Feed

Super 8 to mp4

I'm being tempted to buy a movie film scanner; has anyone had experience of these?

Re: Super 8 to mp4

I had to transfer some family super-8 to digital dating back to the late 60's. For what it's worth the video quality was poor (although good for the time). The cost of duplicating to digital was horrendous.

So recently I projected the spools onto a large domestic screen in the dark and filmed it with a modest Canon stills / video camera on a tripod. The results were "adequate" although the camera had to be placed out of the way of the projected image which meant a certain amount of keystoning.

Not a proper movie film scanner, but it (sort of) served the purpose. If you can get a proper movie scanner it should do a lot better!

There is an article about using film scanners on http://hamrick.com on the support page Hamrick sell the Vuescan software.

Thanks Euan, I've done a similar thing with a gadget that reflects the image at a right angle but the result wasn't too good. Somebody did once convert one of my films to video tape, and the result was excellent...

Thanks Lionel!

Thanks both ! I'll visit Hamrick.com.

Feed