Feed
< Previous | 1 | 2 | Next >

Show Parked Location

On two separate websites I have read of the feature Show Parked Location which identifies on Apple Maps the position where your car was parked. (usually I can't find mine because I'm on the wrong floor in a multi-storey car park and this feature would probably not help)

...however I read that it (the feature not the car) is found in Settings > Maps and by scrolling down to YOUR CAR but there is no such text on my iPhone 11 running IOS 14.2.

The websites are WikiHow dated July 2020 and RawInfoPages dated November 2020 so they are both recent.

Where is it hiding?

Re: Show Parked Location

Well it’s there on my SE running 14.2.

There is an App available from the App Store for the iPhone called Find My Car which I have found very useful

On your phone > Settings > Maps (Apple) > scroll down to bottom of screen to parked location > enable.

Weird, how can our phones be different? Well Drew and Trevor, that has proved that it is not a feature dropped in 14.2. I have nothing between MAP LABELS and the bottom one ISSUE REPORTING.

I have found people who have not been able to get the feature to work but no-one that has the feature missing. If it wasn't for the pandemic I would sneak into PC World to look for the feature on another iPhone 11. I would like to hear from someone with an iPhone 11 although I'm clutching at straws here.

Hi, I also have it as an option.

I read that it uses a bluetooth connection to your car. It probably senses when the connection is lost (ie you have left the car) and notes the location.

Knowing how Apple keep hiding things, perhaps it is hidden because you have something set differently?

eg I wondered if it is hidden when Bluetooth is off. However, I just tried and that was not the case.

Quite a puzzle!

Rick - do you need Location for maps turned on?

The option is on my iPhone 11 Pro using iOS 14.2 but not switched on because I haven't connected Bluetooth in my car.

Rick, have you connected the phone in your car, either via Bluetooth or by CarPlay?

It works on my phone. It is invisible (AFAIK) until you park, then it pops up in Maps.

I understand that it uses both Bluetooth and analysis of movement to detect when the car stopped (GPS and accelerometers) and you parted company with it (loss of Bluetooth connection). So... as others have said, you need location enabled for Maps (Apple, not Google) and Bluetooth paired with the car.

I recommend this Apple support page. It describes a setting that appears on my phone (10s), not 'YOUR CAR'

Surly the "Show Parked Location" toggle should be on your iPhone at all times whither you are in your car or not.

For it to work you will have to connect your phone via Bluetooth to the car radio.

https://mashtips.com/find-parked-car-with-iphone/

Tony that support page still says to turn the feature off go to "Settings > Maps > Turn off Show Parked Location". In the websites that I made links to this toggle is shown below a heading called YOUR CAR. Are you saying is that this YOUR CAR heading is not there on your phone or that the toggle appears somewhere else?

Drew that's another website like the two I illustrated in my opening paragraph describing how to use the feature and where to find the toggle. I need a website that says why this toggle is not present on my phone and how I can make it appear. I just think it too trivial to phone up Apple in a Covid year to see if they can help me over a feature that I would rarely use. But it has been interesting to find that my phone seems to be the only one.

My suggestion would be to "Back Up" your phone to your computer and do a complete reset. If that fails! Apple support is your only other way.

Rick - I too do not have the "Your Car" option (SE2 running 14.2). I do use bluetooth to connect the phone to my car but I last drove the car about ten days ago. Is it possible that the phone decides that's long enough for me to have found it on my drive all by myself and removed the option?

It isn't on my iPhone XR running IOS 14.2 either

Mick I think that it deems you young enough not to require this feature which is why I think my iPhone does not know me. It must remember that I ring it once a week to find where it is hiding in the house.

Interesting other phones do not show this feature.

Drew I may do this

I do have a heading called 'YOUR CAR', I thought you were looking for a button of that name. It's the penultimate section (followed only by Issue Reporting).

My guess is that it might disappear if the phone is not paired with a car. Do I not remember you having problems with the Bluetooth in your LR? I think Mick's suggestion of a timeout after which it disappears is unlikely.

Another possible factor is CarPlay: I don't have it, do you?

Finally, since you often seem to be a few buttons short of an iPhone, where did you get your phone? It's not an "Aple iFone" by any chance (I remember once being accosted by a street seller in Seoul selling Rolex knock-offs, he was quite honest that they were fakes but stressed their quality as they had Seiko movements in them !).

Another data point: I have the ‘Show Parked Car’ option (under the ‘YOUR CAR’ heading), and my phone has never been associated with a car.

My Rolex has a Rolex movement my iPhone is from Apple (well John Lewis) and when I drive I can make calls through my Land Rover mic and speaker. If I remember, I'll try re-pairing the phone tomorrow just in case but it doesn't look as this is the answer from Andrew's post

I don't have CarPlay in my 4x4 except when it's been snowing a lot!

You didn't say but I presume that Apple's Maps app on your phone is correctly showing your position?
< Previous | 1 | 2 | Next >
Feed