Feed

Big Sur printer driver problems

Just in case you are about to print out your magnum opus on your laser printer you may find out that some printer drivers do not work or are awaiting fixes from the manufacturers. I suggest that you do a Google seearch to get the latest status re your printer.

Re: Big Sur printer driver problems

I have got around the problem by redirecting print output to the printer via the Mac Mini music and now print server.

The Mini is many years old and so is running on an old version of OSX.

So I amended the printer name to be printer@mini and all is now OK. The Mini is not only the print server for my Mac Pro but is also the print server for the iPhones and iPads in the house.

As for music I had to install iTunes onto the Mac Pro so that could transfer music files to the Mini for use with the Sonos system.

Another solution - this time I investigated the Lexmark web site and discovered a Universal Print Driver.
It was made available in October 2020

And another problem. My Canon Pixma MG6250 is no longer supported in Big Sur, (nor, apparently, in Catalina). Somehow I can print with it though not sure what driver is in use, but not as a photoprinter with the range of options that come with that. Canon blithely tell me that I should get a newer model.
It is possible to work around the problem in a clunky manner by rebooting into a partition running El Capitan, so that will have to do. Not happy though!

Buy a relatively cheap Mac Mini from eBay, install a compatible OSX (that works with your printer and Mac Mini) and then use it as a print server. Access the Mac Mini via screen sharing from your main machine.

I am still using my Pixma MG 8150 with Big Sur without any problems.

My Lexmark is now printing using the new Lexmark universal printer driver

Feed