Feed

MI System on Chip -- deep dive

Wondering why Apple SoC is so efficient? A developer explains.

Re: MI System on Chip -- deep dive

Impressive, but I had to give up after ten minutes, my brain hurts now...

This video explaining it might reduce the brain hurt issue

Apple and ARM

How Apple Just Changed the Entire Industry

I doubt it Derek, I'm not very bright.....

I'm sorry but I have to "chip" in here and point out that as I say on every possible occasion to anyone who'll listen, that a British company, Acorn, who were instrumental in bringing us ARM chips (and indeed set us a separate company for their development), had ARM chips running their computers back in the 90s! I still have one - no longer in use though.

I'll also point out that when ARM Ltd. floated, their shares were £0.72 each. I didn't buy but wondered if I should had. I gave up watching the price when it reached £44.00. By all means come to me for computer advice but parhaps not share dealing ;-)

The ARM chip in the Acorn Archimedes actually came out the the 80's. 1987 to be exact as the A300 and A400 series, a year or so after, though having the same form factor as the first Commodore Amiga, the A1000 with its custom (sound and graphics) chips alongside the 68000 chip.

It was Apple's collaboration with ARM on the Apple Newton in the early 90's did the ARM really start its slow rise as the de facto mobile chip we know today.

My memory! Yes, the late 80s. Thanks Eleanor.

The ARM250 in Acorn’s A3010, A3020 (I still have one of those), and A4000 made moves in the direction of being a system-on-a-chip as well, integrating the controllers for memory, graphics, and I/O with the CPU.

I may be misremembering, but I think the SoC term was used to describe the ARM250 at the time.

I have Acorn's RISC OS running here on a Raspberry Pi that cost slightly less than £10. It's probably not quite as quick as an M1 though.

Mick - I bought a few Acorn shares back in the day (for about 45p each) that later got swapped for ARM shares and only sold them when Softbank bought ARM in 2016 (for about £15/share IIRC) :-)

Apple's M1 Thunderbolt ports are "not just Thunderbolt, but Apple M1 Thunderbolt ports". Two ports sort of equal four. Detail here.

I remember when chips were 4d a portion....

I don't think salt and vinegar would have the same benefit on an M1.

Feed