Feed

Docs to Go has failed

For years I have been using Docs to Go on my iPhone. It is a programme that synchronises Microsoft Office files on the PC or Mac with the phone where they can be read and amended. So I was able to carry all the useful information I have accrued over the years in my pocket.
That was until recently when synchronicity was lost and a website suggested possible fix was to wipe the phone files and re-pair which hasn't proved possible so I now have no files on the phone. Strangely the iPad still works.
When I went to the App Store to see if others were reporting the same issue I found that reviews are old. I notice that Docs to Go have introduced two versions where only the Premium edition allows Wi-Fi support and the Standard edition is free. The App Store shows "Open" for the Standard and a fee for the Premium which I take to mean that I have been downgraded to Standard even though I paid a fee when I originally acquired it.
Assuming that Docs to Go is now defunct I am looking for an alternative. I don't like to use iCloud as I like to keep my files off other peoples' servers and I don't like sending files back and forth to the cloud as some are sensitive like my password store.
Have other members a possible solution?

Re: Docs to Go has failed

I know you said that you don't like cloud storage but your files on iCloud Drive are encrypted using keys that only you, not Apple, possess.

As ever with encryption, this assumes that the implementers are both honest and competent but, hey, if you'll have Zoom on your Mac you can't be too bothered.

Otherwise, there's Airdrop but I guess you're looking for something a bit more automated.

Thanks Tony.
Since I have started to use Numbers and Pages instead of Word and Excel I have realised that those apps will open and read Microsoft documents.
However I failed at the first hurdle to use iCloud. I can't see how you specify the files/folders you want to store or copy to the cloud.
The Apple help page says "Once you set up iCloud, you can choose what data you store in iCloud by turning features on or off." The features only seem to be apps not files and Word and Excel do not appear. How do you limit to a small number of files those you want to share with your IOS devices?

I'd guess those instructions apply to iOS. With macOS, iCloud Drive appears as a normal folder location (I show it in my Finder sidebar for easy access) and you can save/drag files to it as you would any other folder anywhere on your Mac. You can open/download from there to your Mac. You can create any folder hierarchy you wish though Apple provide "standard" folders for apps like Pages & Numbers. Nothing to stop you using those or your own, whichever fits in with your way of organising.

Hurray, I have two solutions.
Solution 1 synchronises files via iCloud.
Had it not been for Mick I would never have realised that I could restrict the files sent to iCloud, as looking on the internet at several web pages entitled “Everything you need to know about iCloud Drive” or similar I was prompted to tick “Desktop and Documents” in Preferences which meant everything went to the cloud (I think).
iCloud Drive wasn’t showing in my Finder Sidebar so I needed to go into Finder>Preferences and in the Sidebar tab tick iCloud Drive so it is easily accessible, (as you said Mick). It is possible to get to the folder using the menu Go>iCloud Drive (or Shift-Ctrl-I).
Moving a file into the folder wipes it from the desktop, so if you’re paranoid like me about losing your internet connection or the file disappearing forever, you can make a duplicate. On the IOS device, as long as the appropriate app is ticked in Settings >Apple ID etc>iCloud - Apps using iCloud then that App will have access to the file in the cloud. This means Numbers can read/edit Excel and Pages can read/edit Word although there are issues with freeze panes and other features
Access is OK, as long as I’m not in some places in the New Forest, Wareham Forest or the Purbecks where they haven’t got 3G let alone 4G.
I am unsure whether any file made using that App on the IOS device then will automatically be stored in the cloud.

Solution 2 Makes a copy of the file on the IOS device but does not sync
I discovered that when connected via the USB lead and using Files, I can copy files straight into Docs to Go on the IOS Device. I am ashamed to admit that I have never clicked the right Arrow on the tab strip to see this and obviously forgotten the “Isn’t this Amazing” introduction when it was first released. This means Docs to Go can read/edit Excel and Word but any changes will have to be copied back to the Mac.

Moving a file into the folder wipes it from the desktop

Unless you hold the Alt key while you drag it. That copies it.

I must admit I do find this behaviour inconsistent. It is called iCloud Drive so I'd expect that just dragging a file there should copy it, as it does when dragging to any other drive. Instead, it seems to be treating iCloud drive as if it was a folder local to the Mac.

Thinking about it a bit more, could it be that iCloud Drive on the Mac does in fact act like an old fashioned Shared Folder and keeps a local copy for use when there's no internet connection?

I find the Alt key reveals interesting items. For instance I learned from MacMost (or on this forum) that Save As.. shows in the File menu instead of Duplicate when the modifier key is pressed. I have never liked Duplicate as when using it, I then have to go into the finder and rename the file.

iCloud Drive does keep a hidden copy on the Mac's disk of the files sent to the cloud (space permitting) but that does not, IMHO, excuse the ergonomic inconsistency pointed out by Trevor.

For those of us intending to use it like a universal external drive, it's just inconsistent. For those viewing it as one big extended drive, or indeed their only drive, it makes more sense. Just remember that using it as your Main drive, and perhaps copying all of your Documents folder there, will incur a monthly fee.

UPDATE
I have been in communication with DataViz and they have sorted the problem.
During an update I had not allowed Docs to Go to have access to the local network
Settings>Privacy>Local Network> {app}>{toggle on or off}.
after re-pairing the device I now have synching over wi-fi.

I can now highly recommend this app to synchronise files across both PC, Android devices and Apple computers and devices with write capabilities for Microsoft Word and Excel. It's limitation is that it will only read Pages and Numbers files on devices, not write but there are other Apple methods for synchronising and writing Apple files.

Feed