Feed

Looking for Old Pages

My brother's rather old Mac Mini is using El Capitan. He was unable to scale photos which he has inserted into a piece he has written using Text Edit. I suggested he use Pages but this does not appear in his Applications folder and when attempting to download from the Apple Store it says that Pages is incompatible with his OS version.
Is it possible to download an older version?

Re: Looking for Old Pages

Presumably you used his Mac to look at the App Store?

From memory, I thought the App Store would generally offer the latest compatible version and there must have been one for Pages.

I've found the App Store only holds the latest version. Apple may give you a link to an older version but I successfully copied one from an old machine to the other old machine that wanted it.

Rick, how old a version do you want? We might have a set of iWork discs somewhere!

Thank you Trevor, I had an offer from Douglas Cheney for a loan of his discs and will be trying them on my brothers computer, hopefully over the weekend.

Again from memory, I think you'll get the 'old' version of Pages from this route (with the ink bottle icon). This is a perfectly good app but won't read/write current Pages files; you can go the other way and read its files on the current Pages.

On the mavericks Mac, if you go to the App Store App -> Purchased you should see your Pages (assuming you have downloaded Pages in the past) app. When you select 'Install', Apple will warn you Pages is not supported _but_ you can download the latest compatible version for Mavericks.

I've just tried this on my old Maverick Mac and it successfully downloaded v 5.6.2 compatible with Mavericks.

Tony I was initially confused about a route with an ink bottle logo! Today I successfully loaded Pages (with said logo) onto my brother's 8 year old Mac Mini from Douglas' disc but I'll bear in mind other ways of getting old programmes in future. Thank you Eleanor.
I was less successful in trying to get his computer to run less slowly. I eliminated some of his start up options, moved all his desktop files into a temporary file, checked that he didn't have lots of programmes or browser tabs open, checked the hard disc which had 30% available capacity, ran disc utility in recovery mode and reset the NVRAM. I couldn't see that the CPU was overloaded in Activity Monitor but it still was slow. You win some you lose some!

It's probably just you comparing a middling computer/rotating HD to your newer MBP/SSD. Going to an SSD makes a *big* difference.

I can agree with that. I am running a 2015 iMac from a SSD connected via the Thunderbolt 2 port and runs very quickly .

Feed