Feed

6 TB hard drives

My back up process is overflowing so I will have to go to the next size of drives.
Currently I have 4TB drives but they are getting to being a bit tight on space.

I am looking to buy 6TB drives however I have a dim and distant memory that says that the screw holes for 6TB drives are in different positions to those in 4TB drives.

Am I misremembering this

Thanks for any thoughts on 6TB drives.

Re: 6 TB hard drives

You're not wrong Derek, mounting holes are indeed different on some 6TB (and larger) drives. Haven't got any of that size myself, so have no expertise to share. However, assuming this is for ye olde Mac Pro cheesegrater, would suggest this MacRumorsthread as a starting point. Case of picking the right drive, possibly with new sleds as well. Happy shopping!

Thanks Stuart - they are for the external cases used to hold the back up.

Have you moved to Catallina on your Mac Pro???

No, I'll be sticking with Mojave as a daily driver OS. Rock solid, excellent performance, runs any ancient 32-bit software I happen to dig out. Catalina does not strike me as worth the bother, and it gets a lot of stick... Big Sur, OTOH… I've had one of the public betas running (with the aid of unofficial patchers), and found that impressive, so I'll get the full version installed when it's out.

which of the unofficial patchers are you using for Big Sur?

I have just looked in my external disk caddies and they are not using the screw fixing, they use compression locking of the drive, so position of screw holes is not relevant for my next upgrade.

Leap frogging Catalina might be a good way forward saving several hours of SW installation.

It was the Barry Nathan one https://github.com/barrykn/big-sur-micropatcher
Not actually got a Big Sur install at the moment, mine (I think it was the second public beta) decided to stop working for some reason. Given the length of time it takes to get a working download, let alone install it, I'll wait for the public release version to give it another go.

Thanks - I will readup on the subject.

Catalina now working on my 2009 Mac Pro.
At some point I still have to change some drives.

Feed