Feed

Apple Pay Hassle

I'm a big fan of Apple Pay and use it whenever I can. Lots of places don't display the Apple Pay logo but do accept it as you can go over their £45 limit for contactless payments. With Apple Pay you can spend up to your credit limit. Except you can't!

On Monday, I tried to pay for two tyres on the car and the payment was declined. I tried again with the same result so in great embarrassment I put the card into the machine and used my PIN which worked perfectly and proved to the smug young lady I wasn't out of funds. I later tried in two different shops with purchases under £10 and both declined.

When I got home, I phoned my card issuer (John Lewis) in a strop and checked my facts about Apple Pay. I was quite right BUT, their system thought it was an unusual purchase (because I didn't spend over £400 on tyres at that outlet every week!) so blocked the use of my phone. The lady I spoke to suggested if I wanted to spend a large, unusual amount, that I contact them first to pre-authorise it. Now, OK, I'm all for fraud protection but as it took me a good ten minutes of typing this and that into the phone before I could speak to anyone I suggested this would not be an option. I suggested a better work round - use one of my other cards instead of John Lewis! I'd probably get the same issue but it made me feel better.

Re: Apple Pay Hassle

I have a JLP card on ApplePay too, so thanks for the warning! I’ve never tried to make such a large payment so haven’t encountered that problem. However, one of the two filling stations around here is Tesco who, the last time I tried, still imposed the then £30 limit on ApplePay payments, treating it just like using a contactless card. As if this want annoying enough, the cashier insisted that this was nothing to do with Tesco and was a limit imposed by the banks. Of course there was no point in arguing, since that was clearly what her bosses had instructed her to say.

Otherwise, it works fine so, like you, I’m a fan.

Successfully spent £240 on tyres using Apple Pay last week (Barclaycard).

I guess JL doesn't understand tyres: I hope the lady on the phone does change hers occasionally though.

Where on earth did you get tyres (assuming it was plural) for your beast for just £240?

Tyres were for my other half's car.

New pair of fronts. It's front-wheel drive, don't you know: what will they think of next?

Feed