Feed

Another problem in Apple Mail

For no discernible reason my gmail account has gone offline. I can't get it back on linedespite going through the routine of creating a new password. I am sure that I am doing/have done something wrong, and would be grateful if anyone can tell me what that might be and even more grateful if I can be pointed in the right direction to get the gmail account back online.

Re: Another problem in Apple Mail

Check you can access webmail using the new password.

I can access the account using the new password with webmail. But still no change when I use it in Mail. Having entered the new password the pane goes blank and the only option offered then is 'Cancel'.

As it's very likely to be an IMAP account, you could delete the account then set it up again or you could see if System Preferences has an Internet Accounts section (depends how old your OS is) and enter the new password there.

It is unlikely that the password would be the reason the account went offline - but we're well past trying to solve that now!

I will do as you suggest Mick - but... tried sending a test message from the account. It sat in the Out Box and I thought it wasn't going anywhere, but when I came back to the computer after a while it had arrived (at another of my accounts). So it looks as if I can send but not receive - and the account is still showing as off-line and is asking for the password. I'll let you know what happens when I have followed your suggestion.

I’m willing to be corrected but I’ve always taken the view that trying to change a password on an account that isn’t working properly is the last thing one should do! As far as I can see, it won’t fix the problem but can considerably add to the confusion!

Having deleted the existing Gmail account in Mail I have gone through the procedure for setting up a new account. However, having selected the items I want associated with the account in the set-up pane and clicked 'Done' nothing happens. The pane remains open and no new account appears in Mail. Looks as if I shall be managing without a Gmail account!

Feed