Feed

It's Coming Back

Big news from Monday's WWDC - with the release of Big Sur in the autumn, the startup chime will be back ;-)

Re: It's Coming Back

A spinning iron filing from Mick ;)) and a still small rustle of rustic calm.

This WWDC keynote is the most interesting for years. For anyone who might wish to see only the Mac OSXI (yes, OS10+1) Big Sur part of the 2020 Keynote, the progress bar has small white dividers--and the last two sections are about MacOS XI and the ARM SoC revolution. Not to suggest that the rest is in any way boring, it really isn't.

The models of Macs that can run MacOS Big Sur, according to Apple:

MacBook, 2015 and later
MacBook Air, 2013 and later
MacBook Pro, late 2013 and later
Mac Mini, 2014 and later
iMac, 2014 and later
iMac Pro (all models), 2017 and later
Mac Pro, 2013 and later

For those of us on older systems that fall under 'it would work if only Apple let us install', there are two options...
1. Virtual machines (Parallels/Fusion/VirtualBox) will run Big Sur, videos and other tutorials already out.

2. At some point, there will be an unofficial patcher to get the install working, it might take some time as this OS is a major change. Some people already have it running on their systems- I could get it running on my 2010 Mac Pro but not ready to jump through those hoops. Fewer hoops and more stability soon, I'm certainly keen to try it, unlike Catalina.

Interesting times. Platforms State of The Union https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2020/102/ is well worth dipping into. The keynote itself was a joy to watch. Craig Federighi on top form. I rather enjoyed last year (Mac Pro! Mac Pro! Mac Pro!) but this year tops it.

Bong.

I miss the start-up chime as I do the "Welcome to Macintosh" banner but we really need a better way of controlling its volume. Nothing more embarrassing than starting up a notebook in a meeting when someone is speaking and emitting a loud

BONG!

Yes, when we were doing family history research, we visited various record offices and libraries and I'd have to stuff the clamshell iBook up my jumper when turning it on. Unfortunately, this only partially muffled the bong so folk would still turn round - and wonder at this strange bloke who keeps a bright blue laptop up his jumper.

Feed