Feed

Incoming Mail Fault

I have two email addresses, one is a longstanding TalkTalk address which is working on my old iMac for sending and receiving mail. The other is an iCloud address which works on the iMac and on a new MacBook Pro for sending and receiving. However the MBP doesn't receive emails sent with the TalkTalk address. System Prefs - Internet Accounts on the MBP show: "Unable to verify account name or password". Sending on the MBP works.
I used iCloud to transfer settings, Contacts etc from the iMac to the MBP.
OS High Sierra on the iMac and Catalina on the MBP.
I have contacted Tech Support at TalkTalk but no reply so far. Is there anything else that I can do?

Re: Incoming Mail Fault

Have you tried deleting the email account and resetting it up again

Don't delete the account until you're sure it's an IMAP account. If it's POP (and if it's your toucan surf account it probably is) you will lose all your mail. Again, if the MBP doesn't receive emails sent using the iMac, that too points to it being a POP account. POP mail only goes into the sent box of the computer that sends it (which is why most accounts are now IMAP - like iCloud).

Use Mail preferences to set up the TalkTalk account. You may need to hold down the ALT key at one point in the setup to choose POP if that's what you want.

In discussion with Doug we decided against deleting the email account. We added an account in Mail Prefs but got the same result: "Unable to verify account name or password". Since the account details were transferred via iCloud from the iMac they should be (and are) the same on the MBP.
After trying to send a test email from iMac to MBP it wasn't received in the MBP. It was shown in the 'Sent' box of the iMac. It was received on my iPad.
The iMac has IMAP and POP accounts listed and the Hostname of imap.toucansurf.com.
The MBP has the Hostname of imap.toucansurf.com.
Help, where do I go from here?

PS. Have just noticed that in Mail Prefs - Accounts - Toucansurf/IMAP has a red spot against the Offline Status

If the account is working on one machine (the iMac) but not another (the MBP) then it's most likely that the account details are not correct on the second machine.

I suggest that you compare the two machines' settings, field by field, looking for even the slightest difference; only change anything on the non-working machine. Choose the account in Mail Preferences > Accounts and look at each of the three tabs. In the Server Settings tab, note the name of the SMTP server (shown as 'Outgoing Mail Account'), then go to 'Edit SMTP server list' on the pull-down and choose that server by name to check that its settings are correct (though the SMTP server is about outgoing, not incoming, mail it could still be implicated).

BTW, you do have to believe there's a difference or you won't see it!

I have been through the account details, again, very carefully and compared the two machines. They are the same. Have tried TalkTalk again but can't get a call to their tech support. Lots of info on their website and I found this for toucansurf.com: "Unfortunately, if you’re not connected to a TalkTalk Internet connection it’s not possible to access your email account on a device such as a laptop, smartphone or tablet. Access via third-party networks such as other broadband and mobile providers is not possible. On my home network, I am using a TalkTalk router and toucansurf.com emails are received on my iMac, my iPad and iPhone!
I have checked FireVault is off and Firewall is on for both machines. Any more ideas?

Problem solved thanks to Mick making a detailed adjustment of Server Settings. ie. on Host Names and Ports. Now receiving emails via my toucansurf address on the MBP. I will be asking senders to use my iCloud address in future.

It was my wife's Gmail address needing the password before functioning (though there was no notification of this) presumably bcause of the disconnection caused by the power cut. Though why the other two computers were not affected remains a puzzle!

But now she has another problem! See the other post if you are into these minor crises!

Excellent.

If you need more than one E-Mail address, don't forget that Apple lets you create aliases for your iCloud.com address. They're not really addresses but you can give them to people, mail arrives on your address as usual but if you start getting spam or otherwise need to break contact you can just delete the alias.

It works a lot like Apple's support note describes but the last step seems to send you to iCloud to do the creation rather than stay in Mail as Apple describes.

Feed