Feed

Borderless Printing

Sorry for the time taken up in discussing borderless printing tonight. I started by saying that I had failed to get my printer to print borderless (but it fools you into thinking that this is an option).

The print dialogue box/Epson printer driver (not Apple generic) allows a tick box "Border: Off". However the options are to put several different types of line round the edge of the print and has nothing to do with allowing the print head to dispense ink right to the edge of the page.

My mistake in thinking that this might be otherwise.

The handbook shows this option set at Border :Off but does not explain the function.

Re: Borderless Printing

If you print from the Photos App on the Mac you can chose you paper size and whether you want a border or go borderless

Doug - I'm fairly sure you'll only get the borderless option if both your printer and the driver you're using are capable of it - many aren't.

Mick - I don't have to set any settings on my printer to print borderless which is an Epson XP 520.
I must have had it for about 3 years and the last update to the driver was from Apple when I upgraded my Mac to a late 2015 model and installed Catalina

Clearly your printer and driver are capable of it.

I seem to remember my old printer would, which was an Epson which sadly gave up the ghost one day with all lights flashing and a message serviceable parts US

Douglas, you are incorrect.
You say that "if you" (meaning me) print from Photos App I will have an option to print borderless. Under File>Print the dialogue box allows me to print various sizes of image on the page the biggest being "Fill". There are then options to select:
a) the Printer Driver of which I have 4 having 2 different printer drivers for my present printer an Epson ET3600 and 2 older printers. (The printer driver is updated occasionally by Epson)
b) sizes of paper which varies slightly depending on which printer driver is selected (You don't say where borderless is selected but none of these says borderless).
c) a selection box where Black & White, Colour, Photo on Plain Paper, Photo on Photo paper and some others depending on the printer driver selected.

As I have already said Preview (and other programmes) give me more control over the printer where I have an option called Border. Unfortunately although I can select "Off, Single Hairline, Single Thin Line, Double Hairline, Double Thin Line" none of these are actually Borderless, meaning printing right to the edge of the paper.

As Mick and Tony during the meeting quite rightly said, if the printer does not allow borderless printing the printer driver will not give the option and the app cannot overrule this.

Sorry Rick I should have put in my reply I instead of you

Thanks for the screenshot Douglas. It shows, for the benefit of others, that Douglas' print dialogue box has several sizes of paper with an additional drop-down menu. He highlights one where it gives the choice "4x6" or "4x6 borderless". I assume that other sizes with the little arrow head next to them (including A4) also allow borderless options.

Unfortunately my dialogue box does not give me this "space-age" privilege.

Rick, have you read the printer manual yet to see if it supports borderless printing? Or would that spoil the fun?

Yes Trevor it was the first thing I did - see above "The handbook shows this option set at Border :Off but does not explain the function."

Unfortunately I can find no other reference to Borderless printing.

Due to the pandemic, crossing borders means a quarantine time of 14 days. If you put your prints away for a fortnight, the missing pixels may then emerge.

Also, please be aware that the UK has left the EU so there will be checks at the borders (so if you see little black and white squares at the borders, you'll know what happened). However, if you find any Czechs at the edge of your pictures, that's your responsibility as the photographer.

Your call is important to us, we will answer as soon as possible with a sensible reply.

LOL!

Could it be that there is a misunderstanding as to what Epson mean by 'borderless'? Obviously, 6x4 borderless means the image measures 6x4, however I don't see how you could insert a sheet of paper measuring 6x4 and print to the very edge. I know nothing about inkjet printers, but as a printer, I don't see how the paper could be transported through the machine. I hope I don't sound like a Rodney...

Feed