Feed
< Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >

Re: Mail keeps crashing

Mick - if you have turned on two-factor authentication (for the extra security that it provides), then you do have to use application-specific passwords with third-party applications (because the third-party applications have no way of requesting the second factor).

From the page on Two-factor authentication for Apple ID (emphasis mine):

‘With two-factor authentication, you need an app-specific password to sign in to your account using third-party apps or services such as email, contacts, or calendar apps not provided by Apple.’

This is similar to the way that other service providers like Google and Fastmail work when you enable their two-factor authentication.

Thanks Andrew

Having had a very long session with Apple Help about getting photos in iCloud to surface, my current iCloud password has been indelibly engraved on my memory.

To be doubly sure, when attempting to set up the new Thunderbird amail account, I wrote the password down and faithfully copied it, digit by digit, into the appropriate box. Something wasn't recognised. Also, before trying to set up the iCloud account, I had, as Mick suggested, checked that the password worked to give me access at the iCloud web site, which it did. So there has to be something that I am missing as I have successfully set up my Gmail account in Thunderbird.
On the other hand, attempting to set up my Memsec account, I get the message that 'Thunderbird failed to find the settings for this account'.
So, so far, one out of three set up!

Michael - if you have set up two-factor identification on your Apple account, you will, as Andrew pointed out, need to set up an application specific password for Thunderbird. (See the link in his first post.)

What Andrew suggested worked. I clicked on the link he gave and followed the instructions to create an application specific password for Thunderbird which I then applied when attempting to set up my icloud email account.

Paranoia warning: I hate High Sierra:

For those having Mail crashes on High Sierra, may I suggest running disk first aid (in Disk Utility). It can't do any harm.

I have a bad feeling about the robustness of the filing system in High Sierra, particularly but not exclusively if you are using APFS. This is born of the number of 'tweaks' APFS had after HS but which weren't fed back to HS and the fact that bits of HFS+ got briefly broken too.

Like the man said: just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean that your filing system isn't damaged ...

I'll leave now.

Thanks Tony for, "I suggest running disk first aid (in Disk Utility)". I did today but unfortunately had a crash soon afterwards!

Roy: Oh dear, please don't blame me 🥺.

I generally run disk first aid after a crash (I presume you mean that macOS went down) just in case, though I believe UNIX systems do this as a matter of course when restarting after a crash. You may or may not feel like running it again.

Disk corruption can be insidious: the system continues to run remarkably well but the odd app misbehaves because its data no longer makes entire sense. Mail has a complex database so could be suffering in this way but it's just a guess on my part.

If it's Mail's data that's corrupted, would the 'Rebuild' option in the Mailbox menu be worth a try? after a Time Machine backup, of course!

Not the MacOS crashing Tony, just the Mail app.
Am nervous about using the 'Rebuild' option Trevor.
Think I will have to continue using Thunderbird.

I seem remember advice given out at a meeting many moons ago that if you were having trouble with a program on the Mac, you would go to the Library and find the preferences for that program and delete them. Then start the program again and usually this had fixed the problem

Doug - I think that's still a sound idea in many cases. It forces the app to start again from its default settings.

Not sure it would solve these Mail problems though since they sound like Mail's database has been damaged.

Fingers crossed I may have found the answer to the frequent crashes. At the bottom of the Mailbox menu is 'Rebuild' I tried that but nothing happened. Then I looked a bit further on line and discoverec that Rebuild only applies to a selected mailbox. I selected my Inbox, clicked on Rebuild, and it worked inasmuch all the emails in the box disappeared for a short while. They are back and so far Mail has been behaving.

Thanks Michael. Is Mail still behaving? Mine isn't, crashes galore!

Well, it stopped behaving today! I will keep re-building different mailboxes to see if that helps. Meantime there seems to be no known solution.

El Capitan 10.11.6 Mail 9.3 - I've used Mail in the past and its worked well. I don't normally use it but I tried to yesterday because I wanted to send a big attachment using Mail Drop. It just pretends its sent the email but doesn't. Tried again today and the file on the email claims to be 1.99gB, but then a drop down says the attachment is too big at 2.68Gb. Restarted on Sierra 10.12.3 - Mail 10.2 Tried again, multiple crashes and the damnded thing refuses to quit. Thanks Apple!
Anyone know of a better way to send big files? WeTransfer does work well but I suspect if I use it too frequently they will want me to rent the professional version.

Eric - see this:

Mail Drop Information

Thanks Mick, reading between the lines it seems I may have misunderstood how to do it. I'll have a really good think and return later...

I'm back: I tried to sign in to iCloud and got this message - Your Apple ID could not be used to sign in to iCloud. I haven't made a mistake because I've got the ID and password written down.

Possibly changed the password some time ago and forgotten to update the written version? I take it the one you're trying does conform to Apple's requirements - at least 8 characters, at least one upper case letter and at least one number?

Whilst I can understand you feeling you haven't made a mistake, nobody at Apple types and stores your details, the Apple server stores what you type.
< Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >
Feed