Feed

Proof of emailing to Group

I've set up a Smart Group in Contacts called GP CHALLENGE as I run a fantasy F1 league. Any card (contact) that contains GP in the Company field is included.

After adding or subtracting a card (contact) from this list by adding or deleting the GP letters from the field, is there anyway of finding whether a new email is being sent to a particular recipient?

I would like to expand the To: list in an email to show everyone that received that particular email.

Also it is useful to have proof that someone was included in the email circular.

(Incidentally I have one place left in this season's league if anyone is interested)

Re: Proof of emailing to Group

In Mail>Preferences, under Composing, select whether or not to show all addresses. If you choose to show, all recipients will see all email addresses which is not often what you want but it would confirm to you. But if the sale shows in the group in Contacts, they will get the email.

Thank you for burning the midnight oil on my behalf!

This doesn't seem to work retrospectively so I'm unable to prove that a previous email went to someone. Also it would be useful to find if emails went to people who may not be in the present group. I'm sure I use to click on the group name in the email and it expanded to reveal everyone in the group but this may have been when I was using Thunderbird. It may also have shown the present group rather than the group at the time but I don't think so. No I remember now that it showed one line and then added "....others". Clicking "others" revealed the complete list.

I think there is a typo in your last sentence which for which I cannot find the substitute but you're saying that if the recipient is in the Contacts group then he will have been sent the email.

For proof after the event, can't you just inspect the message in your 'Sent' box?

When I was the secretary of our fishing club I had numerous people tell me that they hadn't received the weekly newsletter despite the fact that it was in my "Sent" folder.

Drew - that's most likely because it had gone into a spam folder they didn't know they had. Nothing you can do about that.

Rick: When sending messages to a group, there is an option ‘When sending to a group, show all member addresses’ (in Mail preferences, Composing, under ‘Addressing'). This seems to control what you see, though presumably not what actually happens.

For sent messages, as I suggested above, the addressees in the message in the 'Sent' box seems to be the actual addressees, not the possibly changed group members. That seems right to me.

I said above "I'm sure I use to click on the group name in the email and it expanded to reveal everyone in the group but this may have been when I was using Thunderbird"

After running some tests I realise I was using Safari and had "When sending to a group, show all member addresses" ticked exactly as Mick suggested. I must have switched it off accidentally.

Thank you Tony for responding to my test.

Feed