Feed

the peripatetic network

I have two networks I can use, one is NowTV, which is cr rubbish but gives me cheapish phone calls, and the EE one belonging to my friend next door. I always use the EE one but this last week my Mac Mini has been repeatedly reconnecting to the NowTV one, so that I have to go into System Prefs several times a day and change it. Any ideas?

Re: the peripatetic network

As you may already have done, open System Prefs > Network > Wi-Fi > Advanced. You can then change the order of the networks to which you are preferentially linked, and delete (or add) any.

Other things being equal, deletion might be a choice?

Thanks Euan, they were in the correct order, so I've now required 'administrator authorisation' to change networks. I'd like to know why the machine did this to me though; have I offended it in some way? Have I perhaps been guilty of wrongthink?

Perhaps a short reflective pause for a cuppa in the station café would help? :))

Indeed Euan, indeed; it did it to me again last night, and I may have found the reason, or at least a clue. I put it to sleep and went out for the evening. When I returned it had reverted to the duff network. When I investigated I noticed something in System Prefs; it said something like, 'When I awake after a nap I will change networks whether you want me to or not'. Confound the poxy thing! I just checked and its done it again!

Feed